Best Dall sheep outfitter in North America

RH300UM

The title says it. Give me your PERSONAL experience.
Why you think they are the best.
I'm pulling the trigger 😁 on the funds for a sheep hunt. I can not live without the adventure. Give me some info to continue my research.
I've got some good prospects but lack the first hand knowledge.
I'll be very interested in the results

What Furman said. My buddy got a great ram a few years ago, story may have been in the sheep magazine. I'm pretty sure he was in camp with Bronson from epic and you definitely can find his story online.

Gonna be hard to get in with Ultima - several years long waiting list to even have a chance to book.

I didn't look hard at Alaska as I've heard the sheep have taken a big hit with rough winters. I ended up booking with South Nahanni in the NWT for 2026. Can't wait. Lots of great outfitters in the NWT, but most are booking 2029 and beyond now.

Definitely going to be a wait but for me it was a once in a lifetime event and the wait was worth it.

Last edited:
There are several threads over on Rokslide in the sheep forum - I poured over those threads for weeks, spoke with several members and outfitters before booking my hunt. Problem is, price keeps going up every year and the line gets longer and longer.

This is my personal experience so take it for what it is. Alaska seems to be hurting for numbers of sheep. And you will be looking for a "legal" ram. I hunted 14c with Freelance outfitters. He is a fantastic outfitter and the guides were amazing. Totally incredible physical performance. The hunt was a real bear and it rained all the time. That was 2022

The NWT is full of sheep. You will look for a 10 year old plus ram. Pass on "legal" rams often. I hunted Arctic red. I would go there over anywhere in AK. 2017 hunt

At the time I hunted NWT they were killing some toads on the Yukon side of McKenzies at Bonnet plume.

Lots of outfits in the north have changed hands in the last few years
New blood will definitely be looking and exploring their territories and I expect some good rams to be taken this year and next
The biggest thing you need to decide is what kind of hunt do you want to do
Helicopter
Backpack
Horseback
Once you decide that, then you can pick from the outfitters that offer the experience your looking for
Ive heard a lot of horror stories about alaska and would never book a sheep hunt there
I personally like the yukon on a backpack hunt
Horses can do a lot of the leg work, but they are moody *** holes lol
Helicopter hunts are by far the easiest but there is lots of negatives that come with those areas

Forgot to add that you can only use a 6 creed to hunt sheep
Dont listen to what anyone else says
hahhahaha

Good info from Mark, a guy who has seen a lot of outfits and country. I do subscribe to the camp that hunt is an overall experience, and when booking hunts you need to know what experience you want to get out of it.

I've only done a few sheep hunts, but much of the what outfitter to book with was based on what mountain range I wanted to hunt, then who was the best outfitter that offered the style of hunt I was looking for.

My next hunt is in the NWT, where I choose Gana River because I liked how they run their hunts and some of the particular parts of the Mackenzie's that are in their concession.

Alaska is wildly diverse from the chugach to the brooks, and dozens of outfits to choose from if they fit your needs. UTO is a good one for sure, and my hunt with them was an experience of a lifetime.

Good info from Mark, a guy who has seen a lot of outfits and country. I do subscribe to the camp that hunt is an overall experience, and when booking hunts you need to know what experience you want to get out of it.

I've only done a few sheep hunts, but much of the what outfitter to book with was based on what mountain range I wanted to hunt, then who was the best outfitter that offered the style of hunt I was looking for.

My next hunt is in the NWT, where I choose Gana River because I liked how they run their hunts and some of the particular parts of the Mackenzie's that are in their concession.

Alaska is wildly diverse from the chugach to the brooks, and dozens of outfits to choose from if they fit your needs. UTO is a good one for sure, and my hunt with them was an experience of a lifetime.
I have a buddy heard to gana In 2 weeks
I think he's hunted with them 3 or 4 times
Great area
Harold cut back on the sheep hunt to ensure quality was maintained