Best Capstan Rope Winch?

Barrelnut

Wanting to get one for use this fall. Seems the two leading ones are the Simpson Winch (USA Made) and Portable Winch (Canada Made). Both models use the same Honda gas engine.

Has anyone seen and used one or both of the winches and have a preference? Seems direct comparison reviews are non existent. Below are links to specs for each model. The Simpson has 2000 lbs. pulling powder verses 1500 lb. for the Portable Winch. But any benefit gained from addition powder could easily be lost, if durability/functionality is not there.

Any thoughts on which is best?
Specs: Simpson Winch
Specs: Portable Winch

We use the Simpson winches, makes pulling elk out of crap holes almost fun, they opened up a whole lot of areas for us, we'll shoot an elk just about anywhere now and get them out whole an easy. To me the Simpson looks more robust in the rope guide area.

I bought a Simpson capstan winch about 10 yrs ago. It uses a small 2cycle engine and works fantastic. Easily pulls an elk out of the steepest canyons Oregon can throw at it. Don't skimp on the rope!!! One of my best pieces of gear.

I bought a Simpson capstan winch about 10 yrs ago. It uses a small 2cycle engine and works fantastic. Easily pulls an elk out of the steepest canyons Oregon can throw at it. Don't skimp on the rope!!! One of my best pieces of gear.

Thanks Moombaskier! That's two for the Simpson. Sure you already know but they are made in Portland. With a better warranty than the other brand. Think I'll get one this year.

+1 for the Simspon Winch. Our camp has 2 of the 4 stroke Honda motors. They pull awesome, even in wind blown draws. We have now pulled out 7 elk whole in some pretty nasty North Idaho hell holes. About the only time we have really struggled is when needing to side hill. Over the years, we have continued to add accessories (pullies, snatch blocks, carabiners, backpack/carry bag and spare gas cans). We have bought many of these from both Simpson and Portable Winch. The Portable Winch backpack and rope bag work great to hold everything in a "ready to go" condition. We are considering adding an ice fishing type sled to put the animal in to prevent damage to the hide, it is pretty much toast after along pull. We also added a gambrel this year and can hoist the animal up to clean/skin/quarter. Hope that helps!

Marcus

+1 for the Simspon Winch. Our camp has 2 of the 4 stroke Honda motors. They pull awesome, even in wind blown draws. We have now pulled out 7 elk whole in some pretty nasty North Idaho hell holes. About the only time we have really struggled is when needing to side hill. Over the years, we have continued to add accessories (pullies, snatch blocks, carabiners, backpack/carry bag and spare gas cans). We have bought many of these from both Simpson and Portable Winch. The Portable Winch backpack and rope bag work great to hold everything in a "ready to go" condition. We are considering adding an ice fishing type sled to put the animal in to prevent damage to the hide, it is pretty much toast after along pull. We also added a gambrel this year and can hoist the animal up to clean/skin/quarter. Hope that helps!

Marcus

We no longer fear any hole we hunt in. I have used some logging techniques to extract Elk and Deer from some real nasty places. A truly amazing tool.

Hi go with the Capstan. I have not used this model but we use larger ones in the power line industry . they have been around for a long time and American made. What ever you do don't go CHEAP on the rope. I hope this Helps and good luck

they are designed for rope. the rope wraps around the drum that is what causes the friction that gives you the pull. the other thing and more important is that the tape can over lap really easy an then you are screwed because you can come up and some times down either because all the weight of the animal is on top of the next lay of the rope. the one photo shows you the lay of the rope I hope it makes sense what I have tried to explain

That makes sense because rope would feed left/right smoothly. The tape is so much better for bulk/weight.... I was thinking maybe hook the tape to the animal and then use a 100' section of rope to pull in sections. If you attached beaners to the rope/tape you could pull in sections... Do you guys take 1000' feet of rope?

I pack a 100 and 200 feet section of rope, that is about max for what you can pull game up through. It's about the right amount to carry with the winch, rope and a bottle of gas. We have a 2000 ft spool of mule tape that we'll use to either reach or to use the 4 wheeler or truck with a pulley to pull elk with the mule tape once the winch has gotten them within reach.

you are correct on using the tape and shorter rope less bulk would be the way to go. I missed under stood your questions. Good luck this fall

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.