Best 30 caliber bullet to 1,200 yards from a magnum cartridge

wildcat westerner

Hello,
Back in 2000 with PT&G's help I designed a 30 caliber wildcat based on the extremely tough RWS 9.3x64 cartridge case which fits four into a Savage magazine.
With initial testing I found the brass was so tough I had to fireform it three times to get the shoulder sharp, which surprised me. I had no data and used the primer flatness and ease of bolt lift to establish my loads. When I got home I was amazed to read I had exceeded factory published .300 Weatherby ammo, with a smaller case.
I have built rifles using this reamer since and sold everyone. Forming the brass cases takes time. I have decided to build another for my own usage for a Mule deer hunt in December when they are migrating during the rut in the Rockies. The distance will be to 1,200 yards. While I have hit at this distance with my 6.5's, they were at target ranges.

I can see game being spotted quickly, a faster range finding, then firing. That's why I am choosing the .30 caliber for this hunt. My range runs to 800 yards, but the longer distance will require practice elsewhere.

For the experienced .30 caliber hunter, which bullet would you choose for this hunt? barrel twist rate is 1-10. My best accuracy with my other.300's has been with ELDX bullets, but that rifle is a converted single shot target weapon and very heavy. The new rifle will be lighter for portability and magazine capacity.

Thank you,

225 eld m is an awesome projectile. Again not the eld x, the eld m. Very accurate out of my savage 1:10 twist 300 win mag. Absolutely devastating on whitetail, not too bad for meat damage actually, and every time I've used it it's made big exit wounds which I like. Not that I've ever had to track with that bullet on whitetail. If it'll completely exit a mature Saskatchewan whitetail buck even with major bone hit I wouldn't hesitate to take elk with it honestly, never mind mule deer. Others have posted good results on elk hunts with this one.

Also: COOL WILDCAT MAN!!!!

Hello Everyone,
Thank you for teaching this "old Dog" new tricks!! Your universal reply about the 215 grain Berger bullet just startled me, why so heavy with a resulting drop in velocity? A search of reloading manuals really opened my eyes. While the bullet weights varied by 40%, the large magnum cases utilizing powders best used at that burning rate velocities only were reduced by 20%. My God, it was so apparent. With an absolute key being precise range estimation the advantage of that higher ballistics bullet it less affected by the wind etc.
When retiring to the Rockies at 6,500 feet it soon became apparent that on the range I built to 800 that I knew very little practical knowledge about the higher winds that predominate at these higher altitude. I became a fan on my 6.5's, the 6.5 x 284 and also my wildcat the 6.5 Sherman. To 700 yards with their heavier 140 gr. Bullets they are special. Beyond that time taken to read the terrain and its effects of drift take enough time that in true hunting situations it can get very "iffy".
So, I have returned to the cartridge I designed in 2000 with PT&G's help. I was amazed at velocities I had gained back then with the heavy target bullets I was using at fireforming those cases. RWS cases are extremely expensive and the latest example of a rifle converted from 30-06, with no other mods except rechambering took us two years to acquire from Germany at a ridiculous cost. But, its now complete and the owner just loves it. My own rifle, a switchbarrel Savage ( 6.5x284-.308-my magnum cartridge) is now being fitted with a 28 inch Shilen tube. Length here is not a problem and I gain about 70-80 fps over a 26 inch barrel. For years I pushed the 165 grain bullets at ridiculous velocities, but the longest shot I made was 414 yards.
Now here at these altitudes and with broad vistas, AND shooting at the 1,000 yards range at Whittington,the challenge of first shot accurate hits on game have forced me to reevaluate. With quality game such as big Mule deer becoming so scarce the opportunities to take one that the single instant to do so is very critical. Thus the insight you have given me is so very appreciated.

Thanks fellow hunters!

WW

Hello,
Back in 2000 with PT&G's help I designed a 30 caliber wildcat based on the extremely tough RWS 9.3x64 cartridge case which fits four into a Savage magazine.
With initial testing I found the brass was so tough I had to fireform it three times to get the shoulder sharp, which surprised me. I had no data and used the primer flatness and ease of bolt lift to establish my loads. When I got home I was amazed to read I had exceeded factory published .300 Weatherby ammo, with a smaller case.
I have built rifles using this reamer since and sold everyone. Forming the brass cases takes time. I have decided to build another for my own usage for a Mule deer hunt in December when they are migrating during the rut in the Rockies. The distance will be to 1,200 yards. While I have hit at this distance with my 6.5's, they were at target ranges.

I can see game being spotted quickly, a faster range finding, then firing. That's why I am choosing the .30 caliber for this hunt. My range runs to 800 yards, but the longer distance will require practice elsewhere.

For the experienced .30 caliber hunter, which bullet would you choose for this hunt? barrel twist rate is 1-10. My best accuracy with my other.300's has been with ELDX bullets, but that rifle is a converted single shot target weapon and very heavy. The new rifle will be lighter for portability and magazine capacity.

Thank you,
Pics of brass and rounds please!!!

At the distance your talking you will benefit with the Heaviest bullet you can push to the appropriate fps.
I like the 230 OTM Tactical and the
215 Hybrid Target. Both have been proven
Time and Time again.
Hope this helps. đź‘Ť

K.E.C.

Thank you for your input. I have always had good luck and fine accuracy with ELDX bullets and stumbled into a purchase for 212's, which are coming. I do not demean Bergers. In the '60's we really had two choices, Sierras and Hornadys. Hornadys were cheaper so you know what everybody shot. I was almost predjudiced against Hornadys after decades of Long Range competition, but they have come a LONG ways!