Berger Bullets Tech Data List

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Here is an amazing resource that Eric Stecker of Berger gave me when I asked him a question about bearing length and BC of some of his bullets.

You won't believe how much info is in this Excel spreadsheet that you can download and keep on your computer.

• OAL
  • Boat Tail Length
  • Meplat Diameter
  • Ogive
  • Nose Length
  • Base To Ogive Length
  • Bearing Surface
  • Sectional Density
  • G1 BC
  • Recommended Twist

EDITED ON 6-16-12

I have just uploaded newer data, this time as a PDF file.

Attachments

• Quick Reference Sheets 6-6-12.pdf
    163 KB · Views: 1,292
Last edited:
Thank you Len, for putting this resource on your forum. To save a few folks from rushing to conclusions, the dimensions listed are for reference only and may vary slightly from lot to lot. If you bullets don't match the exact dimensions listed it does not mean that you have bad bullets.

Regards,
Eric

Len, your timing is perfect. I just got home with a few boxes of Berger bullets for my 6BR and intended to look up some data on them. You just saved me hours at least.

Thank you Len, Eric, and Berger Bullets!

If all bullet manufacturers would provide such useful informaition handloading would be much easier and safer. I know of no other manufacturer who publishes reasonably accurate bullet dimensions. Few even give the bullet length.

Thanks Eric and Len.

I've been looking for a new Elk hunting bullet for my 270 WSM Winchester.
This rifle likes 150 SGK but hates 150 TSX.

Think I'll try the Berger 150s.

Al

How does Berger determine their bullet's BC?

Calculations from bullet's physical properties (weight, dimensions, center of mass, etc)?

Time of flight between two screens at different velocities?

Just curious.

Bart,

The short answer is that we fire the bullets and measure their time of flight in 200 yard increments out to (typically) 600 yards. G1 and G7 BC's are derived from the muzzle velocity and time of flight data, corrected to ICAO standard sea level conditions.

You can read more (The long answer) on these two articles on our web log:
Berger Bulletin Blog Archive Why Our BC Numbers have been Lowered (Corrected)
and
Berger Bulletin Blog Archive A Better Ballistic Coefficient

Take care,
-Bryan

Brian,
Thanks for sharing the data, it helps to overcome some of the "black art" when there is real information available. But I do have a question about the suggested twist rates. What velocity are those based on? Isn't the real factor for stability RPM? As the velocity increases the required twist rate would decrease in order to meet the RPM for stability.

The reason I am asking is that I would like to shoot heavier bullets out of my 22-250 but it only has a 1:12" twist and most of the 22 caliber bullets that I would be interested in require 1:8" but I would guess that this is based on the slower but more popular 223 REM. I'm just trying to figure how heavy of a bullet I should be able to stabilize in my 22-250.

Thanks for any input you can share.

Rick

Rick,

The recommended twist rates are based on the slowest speeds the bullets are likely to be fired at. However, increasing muzzle velocity has less of an effect on stability than is commonly thought.

It's true that RPM's increase 1:1 with muzzle velocity, but stability does not. The reason is because the higher velocity bullet has more overturning torque applied to it's nose because it's flying faster (higher speed = higher drag and overturning torque[/i].

If you send me an email ([email protected]) I can send you a stability calculator. You can play around with muzzle velocity and the other variables to see how much they affect stability.

Take care,
-Bryan

Thanks Len for the info, just when i'm looking for load info on .223 i find this info and Thank You Brain and Berger Bullets you are not only a fine Ballistician but a general all around Man

Relatively new to reloading, looking for suggestions on my charge. I am shooting a 7mm mag, Berger 168 gr. VLD Hunting bullet, with H1000 powder. Thanks Fellas

Steyr,

You can get data now by sending an email to Walt Berger at [email protected]. List the cartridge you are loading including the bullet and powder if you've selected one already.

We are in the editing process for our manual as well. I can't promise when the manual will be ready but we are in the final stages.

Regards,
Eric

I have found the excel document very helpful in the past and have just started a new 30 cal build. I was ready to order a the chamber reamer when the new Hybrid line was introduced. Does anyone know if the same info is available for these bullets? and also if there is a plan to offer them as a hunting bullet?

Regards,
Darrin.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.