Barrel Contour Advice…28 Sherman Magnum

nksmfamjp

To me, this is a pretty high recoiling round. I'd like it to be of reasonable weight for carrying it. IMO, the carry limit is about 13 lbs.

but, I'd like to absorb some recoil too.

Right now I'm thinking Bartlein 3B. Does it really need something bigger? Or can I go smaller without taking a beating?

Thoughts? What does your boomer wear?

If you get it to 11/12 pounds it will be ok. I have one with about 9 its pretty sharp with no brake. fine for hunting but not targets.

My 7lb 300RUM isn't as bad as I was expecting. This was shooting it with a lightweight scope I had laying around, a Bushnell 2-7x32 Elite. Not the scope it will always wear, but good enough for close quarter deer hunting.

Cheers.

As much as I don't like them, brakes do work. With a weight limit imposed, and there being less than a 1# difference in a 3B and 4 blank, a brake might be the path of least resistance to get what you want of light+recoil reduction.

Weight of the blank aside since the differences are small, I might go for the 4 contour for the tenth of an inch extra on the crown to mount a brake or suppressor against, but I wouldn't go lighter than the 3B's .700" either.

My 300 RUM weighs ~13# I believe, and suppressed (basically a poor performing muzzle brake in terms of recoil reduction) is very manageable. Stock fitment would make a decent impact on perceived recoil also.

Recent Posts