Barnes xpb minimum expansion velocity

fyaman2

Does anyone know the minimum expansion velocity on a barnes xpb bullet?

Looking for the max effective range for a lever action 357 mag.

I can only make a SWAG estimate. Barnes lists the 140 gr. .357 XPB @ 1175 mv. So with that info, I can only assume that Barnes expects the bullet to expand at that velocity or a bit lower!

Again……that's an assumption based on a guess! 😁 memtb

1710386063090.png

Yeah i was guessing the same but in doing more research i found that the 45 colt MV starts at 850 fps so by deductive reasoning you would think that these bullets should reliably expand down to 750-800 fps?

Attachments

• Pistol-Web-PDF-9.6.23-.pdf
    444.5 KB · Views: 32
Yeah i was guessing the same but in doing more research i found that the 45 colt MV starts at 850 fps so by deductive reasoning you would think that these bullets should reliably expand down to 750-800 fps?

The power of deductive reasoning……it actually works sometimes! Good Luck with your tests/trials/hunts! memtb

Call them and ask. I don't know why they don't publish their minimum expansion velocities, but they've always been able to give me an answer when I've called.

Call them and ask. I don't know why they don't publish their minimum expansion velocities, but they've always been able to give me an answer when I've called.

I concur, that they should publish that data. It would probably cut down on a lot of phone calls! 😉 memtb

I agree they need to list their expected minimum expansion velocities for all three bullets, I don't know how many times I've done a search for the expansion of there 30 cal. so I finally just had to make my own chart.

I made the official call the 357 xpb will expand down to 900 fps.
The rest vary depending on bullet diameter.
Thank you all
Different weights of the same caliber can vary quite a bit too. The 250 grain .452 expands down to 1050 and the 225 .452 expands down to 750. Their minimum values are the velocity where the pedals will fold back 90 degrees in their test medium, so they'll expand at lower velocities just not to the same extent.