Barbour Creek student take antelope @ 1507 yards

I don't shoot at animals past 800 yards. It's just my personal set limit. The reason I have set myself at that limit is because I have shot A LOT at 1000 to 1800 yards at steel. It just isn't consistent enough for my hit to miss ratio to justify me shooting at an animal.

But what I'm not going to do is tell someone they can't do it. That's not my place, it's the person behind the triggers place.
Another thing that plays into it, and especially in this situation, is the caliber being used. There's simply better odds of a hit at extreme ranges with a 338 lapua vs a 6.5cm.

I shoot once or twice a week religiously from 576 yard to 1321 yards rain shine wind or no wind. I wouldn't take the shot there are too many variables over 1000. I am not good enough yet and may never be good enough or feel comfortable taking the shot he did. Odds are if he took that shot 10 times at 10 different animals his miss/not clean kill ratio would be fairly high no matter how good he is.

The point is it's none of our business whether chooses to do that is completely legal. He shot and killed it good on him. When/if things don't go right he will have to live with the results. Again not anyone's business but his own.
I agree his ethics are not relevant to us, especially on this site given the rules. I'm sure he doesn't post the misses or wounds though. Heck we have no idea if that was the first or tenth antelope he shot at that day. So when people say "he got him with one shot blah blah". We have no idea how many misses or wounds came before that.

I may or may not have a nice 338 . It was or may have been built very nicely . While I can say that I would not take the shot only means I have not been able to verify my dope . When I have my information correctly planned and can place a finger on a trigger , I would hope that only my mind plays into the picture . That's my me time . I may have a bow , 7wsm or heck an 870 16 ga. but I'm still allowed to do so . Please don't let some one take that away

outside and presently

Why isn't this thread locked at this point? Seems like it would be worth shutting down the drivel of angry idiots
I hate to say it but it appears that we've entered the unmoderated zone and the long range hunting nay sayers have become emboldened. This might be the beginning of the end of the LR Hunting forum as we've enjoyed it for many years. It's a very sad thing because I've been here since the beginning and I've made it my online home for many years because of the protection from these kind of people and their negative attitude towards long range hunting.

Recent Posts