AR15 Front Sight-Gas block???

rtv900

I just purchased a DPMS AR15 w/16" bbl. The rifle has a flat top with a removable carry handle. It also has a fixed front sight. Am I correct in saying that the fixed front sight it also part of the gas block? I want to get rid of the fixed front sight and put a flat piece in its place.

I am very new to AR's so I really dont know how to go about getting rid of that fixed front sight.

Right now it looks like this with the removable handle and fixed front sight:
image.aspx

I would like it to look like this (no front sight):

BCWVMF%2016M4ORC.jpg

I would love some help on this one.

Thanks.

You are correct the front sight is also the gas block.

You will be happy to know however that you can replace it your self with quit a bit of ease.

All you need to do is knock out the 3 pins on the front sight post with a punch and hammer. A lot of guys say you need a block to work on but I never used one a hockey puck works just as well.

First you have to remove the flash hider, handguards and upper from the lower.

2nd you have to knock out the pin that holds the gas tube in the front sight from left to right and then take out the two pins that hold the block to the barrel from left to right as well. Be carfull try not to mar the pins cause you will want to reuse them they should come out easy.

After you have all the pins out you should be able to wiggle the sight post forward off the barrel. If it sticks give it a small tap with your hammer if you have a dead blow or lead hammer thats even better.

Ough ya put the puck or a pice of wood under the front sight post as you tap the pins out.

Hope this helps

You are correct the front sight is also the gas block.

You will be happy to know however that you can replace it your self with quit a bit of ease.

All you need to do is knock out the 3 pins on the front sight post with a punch and hammer. A lot of guys say you need a block to work on but I never used one a hockey puck works just as well.

First you have to remove the flash hider, handguards and upper from the lower.

2nd you have to knock out the pin that holds the gas tube in the front sight from left to right and then take out the two pins that hold the block to the barrel from left to right as well. Be carfull try not to mar the pins cause you will want to reuse them they should come out easy.

After you have all the pins out you should be able to wiggle the sight post forward off the barrel. If it sticks give it a small tap with your hammer if you have a dead blow or lead hammer thats even better.

Ough ya put the puck or a pice of wood under the front sight post as you tap the pins out.

Hope this helps

The only watch out here is that the flash hider may be pinned and would have to be cut off. This is the Assault Weapons Ban stuff - no removable flash hiders or brakes. Of course the Federal AWB is not now in effect, but there are several state versions that are as or more restrictive than the feds, so many manufactures just pin the hider so they don't have to keep track as whether an upper is legal in a particular state.

There is a site called AR15.COM that has a step-by step on performing the operation you asked about (including cutting off the flash hider).

Thanks for all of the help. I am going to tackle this project over the weekend. I will post some before and after pictures. That is provided I dont mess this up.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.