AR wives tales

Not yet. Thanks for asking. I was planning to wait until after New Years to call Magpul about a shorter spring. It's hunting season here in Florida with the rut just around the corner. The rifle season doesn't start here until 16 Dec. Went deer hunting today, but didn't see anything.

this 308 is a little stiffer to charge than my fixed stock posted above. But it's a carbine length with an H2 buffer weight. I'm going to order a flat wound spring from primary arms. It does cycle right about 3 o'clock with near max loaded 125 gr TNT varmint rounds . It's my pig gun!

Odinworks adjustable buffer weight table.jpg
20231229_094452.jpg
20231229_094539.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't used many of them, but I've become a fan of Sprinco springs. Was able to take a .40 S&W PCC from poorly/barely functioning with the recommended spring for that application to functioning well with almost anything in commercial ammo.
These guys have a fantastic write up on their site for getting a firearm correctly tuned. I would recommend giving them a call and describing what you've got going on with your rifle and seeing what they suggest. My suspicion is they're going to recommend an adjustable gas block as it sounds like you're already super heavy on spring rate and still over gassed. (Pending any issues like rifle spring in carbine buffer or rifle spacers with rifle spring in buffer).

Good info in the article. What amazes me is how a 9mm AR seems to kick as much or more due to the blowback operating system used by most AR-9s. I thought, ignorantly, that a 9mm in a full size 16" carbine shouldn't kick at all. That is just not the case. 9mm/PCC carbines using a blowback operating system are quite snappy and distracting to shoot. If you've ever had the pleasure of shooting an MP-5 you know what a soft recoiling 9mm is supposed to feel like. The recoil impulse of a delayed roller system compared to a blowback is night and day. That being said, there are options out there to make your ARs and PCC shoot much softer and help you maintain a good sight picture while shooting rapidly. For those wanting straight forward info on making your AR-9 run like a sewing machine and tame the recoil impulse, I know of no better source of info than this guy... https://blowback9.wordpress.com/
He has a youtube page also filled with lots of great videos. https://www.youtube.com/@Blowback9