Anyone with Mark5HD feedback? ATACR F1 instead?

Brightwhite

I am looking at the 3.6-18x44 TMR Leupold Mark5HD and the 4-16x42 ATACR F1 MOAR to go on a light('ish) hunting rifle. Either one of these scopes will keep me around 9lbs all up, which is what I am shooting be at or under. I am interested in these scopes due to the compact design, low profile turrets, the zero stop/set feature on both scopes.

On paper the Leupold looks strong, but I have only been able to find the 5-25 model locally which I know is much larger than the short 3.6-18x. There is not much out there on the Mark5HD and I have read most of whats been published on forums, articles, youtube, etc.

I am hoping someone out there might have some experience with both of these scopes? Would be great if you've handled both the Mark5 and the ATACR F1.

Tag. I have 2 VX-6 HD and 2 ATACR scopes but have been hoping they put an MOA reticle in the Mark 5HD. That 3.6-18 looks like a perfect hunting scope for me.

Tag. I have 2 VX-6 HD and 2 ATACR scopes but have been hoping they put an MOA reticle in the Mark 5HD. That 3.6-18 looks like a perfect hunting scope for me.

Oh wow, I did not realize until now that you posted the TMR is a MIL reticle. I think I had it in my mind that it was the same as the TMOA reticle because I only looked at the reticle option on Leupolds website, I did not read about them. Thanks for calling that out to me. I am MOA only and do not have a desire to switch to MIL's right now. I guess thats a deal breaker for me then.

So there is no MOA option...bummer. I was also hot on the Kahles 318i until I saw it was only available in MIL.

If Leupold would make a line of Mark 5 in sfp and moa I would switch everything over to them. That 3.6-18 is a **** nice scope. I like it better than the atacr you mentioned because of the features but the atacr is a hell of a scope. Have you looked at the Swaro X5?

Oh wow, I did not realize until now that you posted the TMR is a MIL reticle. I think I had it in my mind that it was the same as the TMOA reticle because I only looked at the reticle option on Leupolds website, I did not read about them. Thanks for calling that out to me. I am MOA only and do not have a desire to switch to MIL's right now. I guess thats a deal breaker for me then.

So there is no MOA option...bummer. I was also hot on the Kahles 318i until I saw it was only available in MIL.
No MOA option yet but the VX-6 HD is a nice lightweight hunting scope with MOA reticles. I went with the 3-18x44 and the 4-24x52. They come with the Alumina caps and have a built in reticle level.

No MOA option yet but the VX-6 HD is a nice lightweight hunting scope with MOA reticles. I went with the 3-18x44 and the 4-24x52. They come with the Alumina caps and have a built in reticle level.

Yeah, I have a Vx6HD on a light mountain rifle, but I'm wanting to scope a rifle that will get a lot of dialing so looking for something with a little better and more reliable turret.

I hear the new Mk5 is a pretty legit scope, I hope it's true. If it is it'll damned sure be the first time Leupold comes out with something competitive against other options at the same price point.

If it were me, I'd invest in something that already has the track record. I work too hard for my money to take chances on new "maybe innovative" technology. I have a 4-16 ATACR F1, and it is fantastic. The compact size is great, and the magnification range is very practical for just about anything you need to do, zero problems making hits at extended ranges. The low profile locking elevation turret is the tits, and have been 100% repeatable. And the best part about all of it, is that it just can't be torn up. I don't mind the extra weight at ~30oz, it comes with peace of mind. If I ever have a hunt spoiled over an equipment failure, odds are it won't be my NF optic.

I agree with Crews. MIL is a deal breaker for me. Too set in my ways. I have two of the 4-16 ATACR F1's mounted on rifles and they are perfect for just about anything you would want to hunt. Always a perfect return to zero with them. I have a new 5-25 ATACR F1 still in the box that I decided was just too big for any hunting rifles I have. Unfortunately, I decided this after buying the scope. Go with the 4-16 and you'll never regret it.

The 4-16 F1 will be my next buy. I am trying to make it through this season without switching scopes and having to spend too much time dialing it in, but I don't know if I can resist!

I have no idea why it is so hard for folks to switch over to mils, I did it and there was ZERO issues. the math is way easier, and you have a ruler in your scope.

I have no idea why it is so hard for folks to switch over to mils, I did it and there was ZERO issues. the math is way easier, and you have a ruler in your scope.

For me, the main reason would be replacing the 4-5 scopes on various rifles that I have that are in MOA. I like consistency and going from Mils to MOA and back would just be a headache. Maybe I am wrong because I haven't tried it, just seems that way. I also get that mils may be easier to some, but my little brain computes in inches and MOA makes complete and total sense in my mind, so again another reason that I am not jumping to change.

The reason I stick with it is the guys I shoot with are all MOA. I was a biology major so no problem with the metric system. I mention meters or centimeters to my friends and would probably get a blank stare. I have one rifle that has a MIL scope and I have to admit that I have to pause a bit when making changes on it. Best to go with one or the other. I guess it boils down to whether you think in yards/inches or meters/centimeters.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.