Anyone using the 55gr Blitzking?

GetReel

i picked up some Sierra 55gr BlitzKings for my 223 (Tikka T3 1:10). Kinda wondering what to expect. Was gonna load some up with Varget

Sorry for late response. I tried them in my 22-250 over Varget, Rem 700 heavy varment 26" 1:12(?) Twist and was running 3500 to 3600 fps. I think it was too fast as accuracy was not on par with the 55 gr. Sierra hollow point game kings. Some, dissappeared in flight, never hitting the target. Assuming they disintegrated past the muzzle. I never re-tried under a slower load. Just moved on...Have you tried them on .223?

As i recall the 55 BT has a boatail? I can't stabilize them in a 14T Swift but I can get good groups with a 55 VMax (flat base). There must be just enough extra length with the BT to give the 14T trouble or if just doesn't like that bullet.
I wouldn't think they'd come apart from a 12T at 3600 but stranger things have happened. I pushed 55 Vmax to 3650 from a 9T--- a bunch more rpms. Barrel condition has a big effect on bullet fragility when pushed at high Rs.

The 55g Hpbt Sierras shoot ragged holes but the Blitz just wouldnt work. It wasn't important enough to continue with them.
I tried the Spbt Sierra in 55g, they are acceptable groups for hunting, but not as tight as the Hpbt. Sierra designed the Hpbt to be as close to the match grade rounds and they do very well. My twist won't allow me to go with some of the longer bullets so I don't get to play with it much.

I shoot Nosler Ballistic Tips 55 with IMR 8208xbr. great powder for 223. I will get you my load if you want. this load has shot in 4 rifles accurately.

A Blitz in a 223 should be fine with a 10 twist.

In a 22-250 it would be dicey due to the added MV. Mine was not kind to Hornady SX bullets.

My 223's can shoot SX's all day long without breaking them up. I would put the blitz in the same category as the SX.

Three44s

I have a CZ 527 with a 1:9 twist and I shoot 55gr Blitzkings very well, but I normally shoot 69gr Matchkings in it. I use 8208XBR powder.

. My twist won't allow me to go with some of the longer bullets so I don't get to play with it much.
What is the correlation between length of bullet and barrel twist? I've always heard of matching weight to twist but never length.
Life was so much simpler when I just grabbed a box of ammo off the shelf at Academy and then went and killed critters...haha, now there's always something new popping up that I have to learn about.

My brother shoots them in his .223 Wylde 1:8" AR @ 3250fps over H335. They slay everything from cottontails to coyotes. Less explosive than my 50 V-max @ 3330fpsover Benchmark in the same rifle. I use Varget for heavier bullets like the 69 SMK.

Last edited:
All 3 of the Sierra 22 cal Blitz King bullets are designed to handle velocities up to 4400 fps. I shoot the 55gr BK in three different 223 bolt action rifles, one rifle has a 1:9" twist and the other two have 1:10" twist. The best powder I have found is Benchmark but IMR8208 is a close second. The 55gr BK have been very accurate in all three rifles and they make a big mess of rabbits and hares.
Kiwikid.

My opinion: Remington put that slow twist in there considering most bullets were 55gr or less at that time, I would imagine. Now .224 dia bullets are available as longer/ heavier and needs to be stabilized with the faster twist. Just going off load data, most of the longer bullets will specify 1:10 or 1:9 or faster, etc., etc. I have never attempted to shoot past 55 gr, as this gun does what I need with 55gr Sierra HPBT, 3600 fps over Varget. Accurate and devastating on varmints.
Ironically, the throat depth on my factory 26" varmint barrel is so long, I could never get a 55 gr. anywhere close to the lands with out falling out, lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.