Anyone using a Bushnell ERS scope?

Danehunter

I have a Bushnell Elite ERS 3.5 - 21 X 50 scope with a Horus H 59 reticle,

It "shoots a square" nicely and the reticle only looses a tiny bit focus around 8 power when zooming. I've sadly discovered that most scopes do this somewhere in the zoom range, even at this price range ($1,800. & up.) I hear tell the B.E.A.S.T. does not do this but that scope is just my wet dream and anyway for its price it should zoom with mental telepathy.

I really like the zero stop and zero lock on the ERS and accurate 1/10 mil clicks but most of all I like the H 59 reticle for the ability to get a fast second shot without turret turning.

The ERS has a 34 Mm tube and is built like a tank. Plus it is relatively short for that max 21 X magnification. All in all I like it very much once I got used to the Horus H 59 reticle. You think it clutters the scope view only until you see just how good it is for follow-up shots and also holding for both wind and extreme angle at once.

BTW, I have a "scope hope" that Burris will make an Eliminator III with a MIL/MIL setup instead of its current MOA/MIL awkwardness. Then I'd put it on my Browning A-Bolt for hunting and have a "Semi-Smart rifle".

Been thinking a lot about thats scope. Might pick one up . Just cant decide between that or vortex pst. Or 6x24 burris elite. Just don't know. Is it ffp. ?

Yes, it's a First Focal Plane. The military won't buy anything else these days and, according to a Bushnell Customer Service rep the Us and other militaries are buying it, mostly with the H59 reticle. That's why the H59 reticle won't be available to civilians for about a year.

As I mentioned, mine has that reticle and I love it for fast second shots, wind hold and extreme distance holds.

I've got three but I don't like or use the Horus reticle. Way to much clutter in the sight picture for me.

Yes, it's a First Focal Plane. The military won't buy anything else these days and, according to a Bushnell Customer Service rep the Us and other militaries are buying it, mostly with the H59 reticle. That's why the H59 reticle won't be available to civilians for about a year.

As I mentioned, mine has that reticle and I love it for fast second shots, wind hold and extreme distance holds.

These are very good scopes. I don't currently own one but know several shooters that do, including school house instructors. If I were in the market for another FFP scope (especially with the Horus) this one would be at the top of my list.

Your info above isn't entirely accurate. While there are certain units out there that have the budget and freedom of maneuver to purchase whatever they like, the standard issued optic is still Leupold for all our sniper weapon systems. Neither would be my first choice, but I don't have much day in what is issued. Guys who I know purchase these for themselves and "use" probably do so for one simple fact...cannot afford a S&B.
I also know a couple of civilians that have the Horus reticle in theirs.

My employer bought two of the older Bushnell Elite HDMR 3.5-21X50 with the H-59 reticle ( no zero stop). I use them in ballistic tests on 50 BMG rifles. I like the scope but the reticle is too cluttered for me. Too often recoil moves the reticle right in front of the target. Unless the terrain is dry and dusty, I can't see impacts very well at ~1 km distances.

However, the H-59 sure makes it easy to mil targets and hold off shots. For shooter/ spotter pairs the Horus reticle would work out pretty well. I can see why sniper teams like them.

These are very good scopes. I don't currently own one but know several shooters that do, including school house instructors. If I were in the market for another FFP scope (especially with the Horus) this one would be at the top of my list.

Your info above isn't entirely accurate. While there are certain units out there that have the budget and freedom of maneuver to purchase whatever they like, the standard issued optic is still Leupold for all our sniper weapon systems. Neither would be my first choice, but I don't have much day in what is issued. Guys who I know purchase these for themselves and "use" probably do so for one simple fact...cannot afford a S&B.
I also know a couple of civilians that have the Horus reticle in theirs.

While I do not own this specific scope, I do own the HORUS FALCON 5-20x50 with the HORUS H37 reticle. This is a superb scope and the reticle is just incredible, excellent for long range. Bruce makes a good point regarding the "clutter" with a Horus reticle. I found this to be the case also the first time that I used a Leupold with a H58 reticle. It really turned me off to using the scope. But I kept coming back to it and after 5 days of shooting long range with it I was sold. Like Bruce mentioned with a Horus reticle if a follow up shot is required correction intuitive and automatic. At high power the clutter virtually disappears as you focus on the target. If you use a ballistic computer with a Horus reticle, life couldn't much easier. Just hold your solution with the reticle, observe the wind, adjust your hold, focus on the target and squeeze. No knob twisting or counting clicks.

Just a comment about my HORUS FALCON scope. The glass is crystal clear and focus is crisp edge to edge throughout the range of focus. Light gathering and color are both excellent and as good as any Leupold or S&B that I have used. Add to this the STEEL scope body and I have a scope that I can have absolute confidence in.

Just my opinion. BTW... Hey Bruce! Thanks for what you're doing! We will have that beer one day!

DocB

Animo et Fide "Courage and Faith"

Doc,
I have a buddy in "the office" that uses Horus brand scopes almost religiously. They are decent scopes but I think the reason why they aren't more popular is because of the warranty, or should I say lack there of. I mean come on...one year! I see scopes as investments and when spending that kind of money I want my investment protected. I plan on keeping them for a long period of time, hopefully to be enjoyed by any grand kids the good Lord may bless me with (hopefully not for another 10-20years from now!).
Another co-worker has at least half a dozen scopes with Horus reticles in them, from Horus brand scopes to Leupold to USO. He even has the Leupold MK4 spotter with FFP Horus. I had one of his USO's on my LR hunting rifle for the past 8 months. For tactical style shooting, as in if I was deploying, the Horus reticles can be an advantage for quick Spotter corrected and follow on shots. However (and this is just my personal opinion), I don't really care for them while I'm hunting or even shooting on my own. I don't like anything impeding my view. I have to call and spot my own hits/misses. Just my opinion, but I especially don't like the reticle in the spotter. Nothing like looking through a grid in the middle of you field of view while trying to observe an area. For spotting impacts and making corrections, again maybe nothing faster. There are trade offs for everything. What I would do is tell somebody thinking about a scope or spotter with the Horus reticle is to try one first and decide on your own.

Doc,
I have a buddy in "the office" that uses Horus brand scopes almost religiously. They are decent scopes but I think the reason why they aren't more popular is because of the warranty, or should I say lack there of. I mean come on...one year! I see scopes as investments and when spending that kind of money I want my investment protected. I plan on keeping them for a long period of time, hopefully to be enjoyed by any grand kids the good Lord may bless me with (hopefully not for another 10-20years from now!).
Another co-worker has at least half a dozen scopes with Horus reticles in them, from Horus brand scopes to Leupold to USO. He even has the Leupold MK4 spotter with FFP Horus. I had one of his USO's on my LR hunting rifle for the past 8 months. For tactical style shooting, as in if I was deploying, the Horus reticles can be an advantage for quick Spotter corrected and follow on shots. However (and this is just my personal opinion), I don't really care for them while I'm hunting or even shooting on my own. I don't like anything impeding my view. I have to call and spot my own hits/misses. Just my opinion, but I especially don't like the reticle in the spotter. Nothing like looking through a grid in the middle of you field of view while trying to observe an area. For spotting impacts and making corrections, again maybe nothing faster. There are trade offs for everything. What I would do is tell somebody thinking about a scope or spotter with the Horus reticle is to try one first and decide on your own.

B4, as much as Iike my HORUS scope I would swap for a USO without hesitation but dang, that sure is a lot of scope to be humping around! Lol!

DocB
Animo et Fide "Courage and Faith"

B4, as much as Iike my HORUS scope I would swap for a USO without hesitation but dang, that sure is a lot of scope to be humping around! Lol!

I agree, that dude is built like a tank! I have never held a scope that felt as heavy duty or as well built. If I ever deploy again this is what my rifle will wear.
As for hunting, I just sold the last MK4 (or probably Leupold) my personal weapons will have mounted on them. Took that money and "upgraded" to a Nightforce NXS.:D

...regarding the "clutter" with a Horus reticle. I found this to be the case also the first time that I used a Leupold with a H58 reticle. It really turned me off to using the scope. But I kept coming back to it and after 5 days of shooting long range with it I was sold. Like Bruce mentioned with a Horus reticle if a follow up shot is required correction intuitive and automatic. At high power the clutter virtually disappears as you focus on the target...
Doc B, you and I always end up at the same place on this topic! You're one of many people I respect who really like Horus reticles. I totally agree with you that they take some getting used to. In my case, I think it's just not a good fit to the type of shooting I do.

I don't have the luxury of turning up the magnification to thin out the reticle clutter. 12X is about as high as I can go, even at ranges over 1 km. That's mainly because the 50 BMG rifle I shoot moves a lot under recoil. I have to wrestle the beast back onto the target quickly so that I can see the impact. If the magnification is higher than 12X, the field of view is too small to reliably get it back on target. Half the time the gun comes to rest with the reticle obscuring the impact.

I think that on a gun with less recoil I might like the H-59 reticle better.

I can see a 50 BMG rifle moving enough to make the H59 "Christmas Tree" reticle block the view of a shot impact.
I've never had that problem with my .300 Win mag and especially my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I feel the glass in HDMRs and ERSs is "OK" but I'd pay another $200. $300. or so for ED lenses. Anything that gives a better sight picture is good.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.