Anyone shooting TAR hunt RSG 12??

BigBuck74

I just got a smoking deal on a TAR hunt RSG 12. Any other slugs being used other than the Lightfields?? Anyone have one of these let me know.

Thanks

I own many slug guns, in 20ga and 12ga. I'm a big fan of the 220, and yes I have handled and shot a Tarhunt 20ga.

The Tarhunt is one hell of a fine made shotgun, its clean, smooth and without question made well, worth $3500? NO WAY !!!!! With it being such a great shotgun, why is it tested and recommended to use such a slow, ancient slug known as the LIGHTFIELD? With today's advancements in slugs this shotgun should be tested with the new advance slugs. Tarhunt has come out with a slug of their own, cost is about $45.00 for I think 12 rounds

Back in 2008 or 2009 I was still using, my stock 1187 12ga with rifled/cantilever barrel with 2-3/4" Lightfields, friend of mine had a 870 12ga with the same stock barrel but this barrel was pinned by Tarhunt and other work done by them on this gun he was also using the Lightfields, it cost him a few hundred dollars. A few days before the hunt, we decided to check the zero on each. My 1187 was shooting great out to 100 yards, his 870 wasn't getting the groups like my 1187, we thought lets shoot each others guns, he grouped the same as I did with my 1187, I shot his 870 and grouped same as he did......Point is, I think Tarhunt screwed him, and I think the Tarhunt slug gun as well made as it is, WILL NOT shoot as well or better then the SAVAGE 220.

Now I will agree with others that the 220 has a toy like stock, but that can be switched out with a stock from Boyds for about $100, I got use to the toy stock. The action on mine when I first got it was rough, but I lapped both the bolt and and bolt rails and it's smoother, matter of fact it's smooth enough, I have no issues with mine. Only thing besides that I did was get the stock Hydro-Dipped in camo, at the time of purchase Savage just offered the black stock, blue barrel, and there is no need to spend the extra $$$$ on a stainless barrel, performance isn't better. I do highly recommend DNZ one piece scope mounts, and of course Remington Accutip 3", the 2-3/4" are fine, but beyond the 100/120 yard range the 2-3/4" starts to drop.

This is just my opinion from handling and shooting both a Tarhunt and Savage 220.......

Buy a Savage 220, quality glass, DNZ mounts, and proper ammo and you will still save yourself money and still have a more accurate shotgun

$3495 for a Tarhunt, then you can add upgrades for added funds....Randy Fritz is insane on his prices!!!! https://www.tarhunt.com/product/rsg-20-mountaineer/

At the time I purchased my Savage 220:

Savage 220......................................................$450

Leupold VX-II 3-9x40........................................$275

DNZ Mounts......................................................$45

Mount/Bore Sighted, lap bolt and rails...............$75

Hydro Dip Stock.................................................$100

Grand Total........................................................$945

I saved...............................................................$2550

I got the Tarhunt for 950.00 I know what you mean about the slugs, but we actually load and mold our own slugs getting around 1700 with similar mold to lightfields. Gun shoots incredible. However I am with you as well, 3495..not in this lifetime. They are nice but not that nice.

FYI, Mcmillan is actually making replacement stocks for the 220 now too!!

Last edited:
I think there was a time when the RSG 12 was a great improvement over what was available in the marketplace. I would also say the same thing about many guns I bought in the past including a number of Jarrett rifles and other custom guns. At the time I bought my Tarhunt 12 ga I also had a couple of other dedicated slug guns that I could not get accuracy out of. For me at the time it was worth the money...………….today not so much.

For me buying the Tarhunt was like buying a custom rifle. My son and I got drawn for Iowa muzzleloader last year and I got him a Savage 220. Shooting the Remington 2 3/4 accu tip slugs, I think they were called, the savage shoots every bit as good as the Tarhunt. Plus the recoil is very little.

I have so many Lightfield Sabots but clearly I think there are many better choices available today

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.