Any tree experts, broken ish flame thrower redbud

55stone

Good evening guys, to keep this from being to long. We have a flame thrower redbud that we planted and really like. The tree itself is maybe 6 feet tall. Well we were gone on vacation and few weeks ago and the wind really did a number on it. Its s smallish trucked tree with biggg leaves that catches a lot of wind. i had it staked but not well enough the wind pulled the stake. The tree its self didn't split like in half but has "cracks" all up the truck and the top half lost most its leaves. It still feels rubbery and not dead dead, some of the leaves stayed but are very small and look rough. Is there any chance in the top half making a recovery? is the upper half of the tree a goner? If the upper half is gone i will try to dig it up and move it out somewhere not so critical and if it looks funny for awhile or ever not as big of deal. Its currently right by the corner of the house and I would like it to look nice. I attached some pictures the best i could. Thanks for any information!!!

tree.jpg

trree 2.jpg

I'm not an expert.....but if you don't fill the cracks..bugs will get inside and eat it...
Need the cracks sealed....looks like enough foliage to keep it alive....
Keep the roots alive.....maybe put in some pvc tubes to get water down deep....perforated pvc tubes be best..feed roots at different depths.....

Those rounded edges look like that was old injury that is healing. I have young trees much worse than that growing new tissue that looks very similar. I agree, water it deep, meaning water for a longer period of time but just as important is not allowing it to stay wet around it. I would not put pvc with holes in the ground because you are giving a dead space that fungus can grow. I would hold off on the fertilizer, I apply fertilizer to my orchard trees in early April and June, I don't want the trees using energy now for a lot of new growth, I want them making and storing carbohydrates for next year.

I'm not saying put the pvc under the root ball......but the ground needs to be watered enough to let the 'new roots' absorb the water into the tree...otherwise
might as well pull it out and replace it...

I've transplanted aspen from the honeymoon hunting trip 9 hours away...last time i drove by that house those trees were 30' tall....I bet they are much taller now....and the neighbors probably hate the roots......lol.

Last edited:
Ok i will give it atleast till next spring to see what it will do.. i will water it heavy but let it dry out and not stay wet.. thank you for the tips!!! keep them coming if anyone else also wants to chime in!!

They are a few different types of wound dressings you can apply if you want to. Different wraps, paints, sprays and anti fungals are available from forestry supply stores.