Any good rabbit recipes?

Aussie_hunter

me and a friend took his kids out age 10 and 11 and we shot a rabbit skinned and cleaned it then cooked it over a fire grabbed to sticks that made a ' Y ' and a long stick that was straight off a tree so it didn't burn or catch fire threw some garlic in the chest cavity and came out nice took 40 mins to cook. The kids thought it was gross and didn't eat it so we cooked them snags. Thing is hopefully when they have kids they will tell there kids how they went hunting, it's ashame that kids are to involved in there computer games and facebook and don't get to go out and hunt and camp like I did as a kid but as they get older they might wanna come out. We tryed to cook a bugarra wich is a large lizard but it turned out horrable.

So to get to the point if you have any other ideas how to cook rabbits what spices and herbs to use would be great

I love this one

Directions:

1. 1
    In a crock-pot, place potatoes, carrots and onion.
  2. 2
    Season meat with salt and pepper; brown in oil on all sides and place in crock pot on top of vegetables.
  3. 3
    Combine beer, chili sauce,, brown sugar, and garlic; pour over meat.
  4. 4
    Cover and cook on high heat setting for 3 1/2- 4 hours.
  5. 5
    Remove meat and drain vegetables.
  6. 6
    Measure cooking liquid and add beer, water, or broth to make 1 1/2 cups.
  7. 7
    Put reserved cooking liquid in a saucepan, and return meat and vegetables to the crock pot.
  8. 8
    Mix 1/3 cup water with 3 tbs flour in a gravy shaker or jar and shake until smooth.
  9. 9
    Stir into reserved liquid; cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
  10. 10
    Serve sauce over meat and vegetables, sprinkle with paprika and garnish with parsley if desired.
  11. 11
    Note: This can be baked in an oven-proof casserole rather than a crock-pot.
  12. 12
    Bake at 350°F for approx 1 1/2 hours, or until meat and vegetables are tender.

This one must be good:
Baked Stuffed Rabbit
SHOPPING LIST: fine bread crumbs, dairy sour cream, flour, margarine, onions, pepper, salt, salt pork, savory, rabbit
INGREDIENTS
rabbit, 4 cups of fine bread crumbs, 2 tbsp. onions, 1/4 cup margarine, three or four thin slices of salt pork, 1/2 tsp. salt, 2 tbsp. savory, 1/4 tsp. pepper.
Gravy: 2tbsp. flour, dairy sour cream
Pastry: 1/3 cup margarine, 1 cup flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 2 or 3 tbsp. cold water.
INSTRUCTIONS
Dressing
In a mixing bowl, mix together 4 cups of bread crumbs, 2 tbsp. of chopped onion, 1/4 cup of soft margarine, 1/2 tsp. salt, 2 tbsp. savory, and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
Cooking
Stuff the rabbit with the dressing and fasten with skewers.
Place in roasting pan and lay four or five slices of fat port across the top.
Add a little water and cover the pan
Bake at 350F degrees or until the meat is tender (about 25 minutes per pound.)
Remove from oven and make gravy. Gravy
Skim fat from cooking liquid, reserving 2 tablespoons.
In a saucepan, heat the 2 tbsp. fat and blend in 2 tbsp. flour.
Gradually stir in 1 cup of the liquid remaining in the roasting pan from the meat.
Cook, stirring until thickened.
Mix in 1 cup of dairy sour cream and heat thoroughly.
Pour the gravy over the rabbit and cover with pastry. (See recipe which follows.) Return to oven.
Bake at 450F degrees until the pastry is browned.
Serve at once

In the Southeastern United States the favorite way to cook a rabbit,squirrel,quail or nearly anything is fried.
Fried rabbit and gravy:
Cut the rabbit into serving sized pieces and soak it in buttermilk overnight or at least 8 hours.
Take the peices out of the buttermilk and coat them in all puropse flour seasoned with 1 teaspoon of salt and a generous amount of black pepper. ( I like about a tablespoon per 2 cups of flour.) A tablespoon of paprika can also be added but is not necessary
Put enough peanut oil in a black cast iron skillet to cover the pieces half way and heat it to 325- 350 degrees Fahrenheit. (peanut oil cooks at a higher temperature without burning or smoking excessively vegetable oil or shortening may also be used) Or plug in a fry daddy or other deep fryer with the apropriate amount of oil. Fry the rabbit for about 6-9 minutes per side until done. or about 6-7 minutes in the deep fryer.
This part is kinda tricky but I'll also post a way to cheat:
lightly Brown the remaining flour while stirring in about 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet on medium high heat. When it starts to brown add about 1 1/2 cups of milk and stir constantly while it comes to a boil. When it thickens remove it from the heat and add the pieces of rabbit return it to the stove on low heat and cover the skillet. Let it simmer for about 30 minutes.
(Here's the cheat) Milk gravy can take a while to master especially if someone whos made it fro years is not standing right next to you so here's an alternative.
Over medium heat pour one can of cream of mushroom soup into a skillet add 1/2 can of milk and stir until smooth add pepper to taste. add the fried rabbit and simmer for 1/2-1hour over low heat.

Serve this with buttermilk biscuits and other southern staples such as greens or yams MMMM

In the Southeastern United States the favorite way to cook a rabbit,squirrel,quail or nearly anything is fried.
Fried rabbit and gravy:
Cut the rabbit into serving sized pieces and soak it in buttermilk overnight or at least 8 hours.
Take the peices out of the buttermilk and coat them in all puropse flour seasoned with 1 teaspoon of salt and a generous amount of black pepper. ( I like about a tablespoon per 2 cups of flour.) A tablespoon of paprika can also be added but is not necessary
Put enough peanut oil in a black cast iron skillet to cover the pieces half way and heat it to 325- 350 degrees Fahrenheit. (peanut oil cooks at a higher temperature without burning or smoking excessively vegetable oil or shortening may also be used) Or plug in a fry daddy or other deep fryer with the apropriate amount of oil. Fry the rabbit for about 6-9 minutes per side until done. or about 6-7 minutes in the deep fryer.
This part is kinda tricky but I'll also post a way to cheat:
lightly Brown the remaining flour while stirring in about 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet on medium high heat. When it starts to brown add about 1 1/2 cups of milk and stir constantly while it comes to a boil. When it thickens remove it from the heat and add the pieces of rabbit return it to the stove on low heat and cover the skillet. Let it simmer for about 30 minutes.
(Here's the cheat) Milk gravy can take a while to master especially if someone whos made it fro years is not standing right next to you so here's an alternative.
Over medium heat pour one can of cream of mushroom soup into a skillet add 1/2 can of milk and stir until smooth add pepper to taste. add the fried rabbit and simmer for 1/2-1hour over low heat.

Serve this with buttermilk biscuits and other southern staples such as greens or yams MMMM

I saw this thread and thought abut the very same thing you posted, smother fried rabbit! I too am from Georgia and have eaten just about every kind of rabbit that you can think of but my favorite is smother fried in gravy! Cat head biscuits and grits... man oh man! I cant wait til the frost so I can kill another mess and cook 'em!

I just used Barrett81's rabbit recipe on a ground hog using seasoned flour instead of plain flour. This was simply awesome when paired with some collard greens and cheese grits. Try it!

G'day Aussie,

I remember my Dad taking me out the back of Avoca (VIC) when I was four onwards, shooting bunnies with the Bnro.

Grandma used to cook a lovely stew with them, The meat was very silky, I think she sprinkled baking soda over the meat and then soaked them in water for about 5 mins.
The rest was the usual winter vegetables and some chicken stock in a pot, oven till the veges are tender.

Im up in Darwin now. (polar opposite of Avoca), not a lot of bunnies to be found, not a lot of rimfires either up here. Lots of pigs though! I just cant wait to take my little boy out bush when hes old enough, bag a magpie goose, and cook it over the coals, yummy!

Many years ago I survived on little more than rabbits for months, I tried roasted, baked, marinated and then I found the best of all. Take a couple or four bunnies, skin and remove only the back legs and thighs, removed meat from the bone cut into small bite sized pieces, place in a plastic bag of flour, shake until well coated and fry in butter in a hot pan. It tastes suspiciously like Kentucky fried chicken without the herbs and spices...feel free to add herbs or spices to flour. Finger licking good to the point that you'll want to go shoot some more after dinner. Cheers Wiz

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.