Another 6mm Remington AI "the bug bites again"

Catter

Built this Varmint rig this year from a Pence hand cut 6mm barrel I built in 6mm AI about 15 years ago. I took the barrel off and put it in the safe about 10 years ago after 1200 rounds had the throat totally gone. It was a 27.5" 1-10 twist and on the 722 action it was pushing 80 Berger MEF's at 3567 fps with over 50 grains of 4831. Took it to my buddy Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply and we scoped it, he thought if we got rid of 4-5 inches of it we could get into new bore, and after cutting the chamber have a perfect barrel again. HE WAS SPOT ON!
20210623_195218.jpg

The resurrected barrel went on an Axis action that was trued and altered to use a standard recoil lug, and it was chambered for a no turn 6mm BR Norma. But even though it shoots great, and connects reliably, it has proven to be lacking in terminal performance after about 500 to 550 yards, just poking holes in the chucks out that far. It is definitely running out of steam.

So here I go again, my fondness of the 6mm AI, and needing terminal performance as well as pinpoint accuracy, has led me to new needs, my next build is coming together. This time with better Brass, Lapua. I had my choice of 30-06, or 8x57. I chose the 8X57 simply because I feel the less manipulation should hold Lapuas tight tolerances closer after my necking down?

For this build I have an uncut Camo (green brown and charcoal) Laminated Blank, that will be turned down inletted and pillars installed by Fred Moreo at Sharp Shooter Supply, as well as all smithing and metal work, the man is a genius with Savage actions, which this will be built on with his trigger.

The next big change for this new 6mm AI is the barrel, since Ron refuses to put his talents back to work and build me a hand cut barrel, and continues to allow his precision barrel table to set idol, I am forced to turn to a machine cut rifled Krieger for my blank. It is a 1.250" for 5" tapering to 1.05" at the muzzle at 31.5". It is a .236" bore with .243" 4 groove.

I also plan on running the Elite Hunter 108 bullets from Berger after a discussion with my old friend Bob Blaine at Berger. His advice for my purpose, knowing the speed of the round might be trying on the thinner jackets the Elite Hunter is built with, but assuring it will give the terminal performance I'm looking for out past 600 yards, in which if that becomes the case we will turn to the 105 hybrid match, for it's tougher jacket, just in case the rpm's and heat bother the Elite and their becomes a issue with coming apart before it reaches my target.

My last issue will be if my fondness of 4831 starts to become an issue with these heavier pills, I have decided to acquire a 8# canister of 7828 as well as the 4831, just in case the 28" tubes decides it would prefer a slightly slower propellent. Both sitting on the bench waiting to see which one will get to wear the new tube out!

As the building starts, and I deliver the parts to Fred I will post more pictures and details as they develop, but this is all I have now.
_D4_4627.jpg

It is unbelievable at 67 and doing this the past 50 years, I still act like a kid a in a candy store when I start a new build,,,,, always wondering,,,,, will this be the last?

I've been shooting a 6mm Rem, on a '96
Mauser, for quite a few years and have lately decided I'd like to build a 6mm AI. The 6mm I have has a long twist, and doesn't like heavy bullets. I'm thinking a Savage, or Howa action.

l have a New 700BDL Varmint barrel in 6mm Remington, 24'' from 1980.
Beautiful skip line CUT chequered Stock. Got them from a Bench Rest
friend who canibalized the gun for the action and bottom metal.
One day l will find an A or B serialed 700 Short Action to tie this
excuisite barrel and stock together. Long live 6mm REM

My 6 Rem AI has a zero freebore, 14 Twist, 26" Shilen shoots the 70g Nosler ballistic tip at 4100 into tiny groups with Win 760. Same barrel shoots the 80g Sierra blitz at 3800 with R#19. 60g sierra's are zipping along at 4300-4400 with Win 760 and a CCI 250 primer. With these loads, chucks blow up like a paint ball hitting a brick wall.

AA2700 and Win 760 gives very long barrel life in the 6 Rem and AI vs the stick powders...learned this the hard way.

I also have a 6mm AI. Mine is a 26", 10 twist, #5 McGowen 5R on a Ruger M77 MKII. I shoot nothing but 87 VMaxes. I have RL16 (46.5), IMR 4831 (49.0), & SW4350 (47.0) loads but am working on a load using 4000MR, R-S Hunter or StaBall. I have made 6mm AI brass from 7X57 PPU brass, the first step being necking down to 6.5 using an old generic 6.5 Hornady neck size die, 6mm Rem die with no expander, then COW fire forming, neck turning, & trimming. I use a shortened shell holder that allows chambering with a crush fit (can't chamber with un-modified shell holder), to COW FF. Hot temps of over 90 F got me into RL16, Staball might work out. I have had excessive pressures with H414/W760 on hot days with loads worked up a 65-70 F. StaBall is somewhat avail & I hope it works out - StaBall is touted for .270 Win loads.

All of us old timmers learned long ago to have loads for hot weather. At 95* use 3g less powder, you will be good to go....760 rocks with 70g. No matter what powder you use, at 95*, there will be a pressure change from a load worked up at 65*. If you chronograph your load when you work it up at 65*, then back off 5g and work up at 95*, when you hit that same velocity, you will hit a home run.

AA2700 is an excellent powder for the 6 AI and is one of the coolest burning powders ever made, next would be N160 and N165. These cool burning powders sure add barrel life, but you have to think like an advanced reloader in terms of temp changes.

Back in the late 70's up until the early 90's, we shot many, many thousands of p dogs every year with all kinds of temp-sensitive powders since that was all that was available.

On the 87's, R#19 and IMR 4831 are excellent for speed and accuracy. For 500 and under, I prefer the 80g Sierra Blitz BT where AA2700 shines and gives much longer barrel life. We marked our ammo boxes, "Cold Weather" or "Hot Weather".

Today we are fortunate to have the extreme powders, but I still verify my loads. It is normal to vary powder charges on Varget and H4350 .5-1.0g for HOT weather vs 65" temp for bug hole loads.

I use a set of form dies made by Paul Bike, they are nothing short of fantastic, and fire form the same as Hugnot. It is easy to form 8x57 brass into 6 Remington, then fire form, neck turning maybe required depending on your chamber dimensions.

I used one of several actions:

A. a Rem short action with a Wyatt's magazine box

B. a Rem long action

C. Savage long action

D. Ruger long action

Shilen 14T stabilizes the 80g, Sierra Blitz, at 3800, and this is a Mack Daddy coyote and chuck round! The 75g V max is 3900- 4000 fps on a 26" barrel with Win 760 or AA2700 which greatly extends the barrel life over most other powders. I tried N550 and it is like shooting battery acid for powder as it eats a barrel rapidly, very hot burning powder. We also shot a hot load of H380 on Rock Chucks with 60g Sierra's at 4400 fps, chucks detonated like a paint ball hitting a flat rock, 14T barrels.

I shot out two 6/284's in the 80's on Rock Chucks and Coyotes, somewhere in the neighborhood of 56ish grains of IMR 4831 with a Sierra 85g BTHP at 3600. This round also is better on a long action, but a Wyatt's mag box in a Rem 700 gives a guy some latitude in OAL and Mag box length when chasing the lands for accuracy during leader growth.

To the OP. If you can lengthen the neck another .05 - .100, you will have a very good chance of getting another 300+ rds out of it. Keep the heat out of the throat as long as possible.
This is what gives the 6 Rem AI the bbl life advantage over the 243AI - even w increased powder capacity.