Altitude mask while training?

trophy8

Fixing to be on the stair stepper like a prom night date half lit haha. Do the altitude masks work? I grew up in 3500ish elevation. Moved to central texas this last year where it's 1200ish. Will be hunting elk from 6500-8500. First mountain hunt. Trying not to die as I'll go all in to get a big bull down. Thanks In advance

Fixing to be on the stair stepper like a prom night date half lit haha. Do the altitude masks work? I grew up in 3500ish elevation. Moved to central texas this last year where it's 1200ish. Will be hunting elk from 6500-8500. First mountain hunt. Trying not to die as I'll go all in to get a big bull down. Thanks In advance

Even if you still live at 3500' elevation but if you have not put in your time and effort prepping yourself physically for the 6500-8500' hunt, you will have a rough awakening.

I live right around 3300' elevation but I work out 3 times a week all year around. Nothing fancy but I do 30-45 minutes at 20% grade on the treadmill to simulate my climb along with upper and lower body weight training. I hunt around 5000-7500' elevation.

A week before thanksgiving, I guided my son and his friend from FL on a mule deer hunt. They are both Capts in the USAF and are very physically fit 28 year olds but they were having a hard time keeping up with this 54 year old body and I have to slow down a few time. :D

Good luck on your hunt.

My read on it is the jury is still out, or at least the science isn't there that I've seen.

Get yourself to that point where running isn't a joke, and revisit it then.

My read on it is the jury is still out, or at least the science isn't there that I've seen.

Agreed! >>> Colorado Altitude Training

Proper health conditioning does not happen overnight.

I hate running and I hurt all over (back, foot, legs) but can do hikes and walks OK and still keep my cardio target zone.

If you mean one of these, it won't really help.
https://www.trainingmask.com
They make it harder to breathe, but don't remove the oxygen from the air, which is what you want for altitude acclimation.

They're more like weight lifting with your diaphragm.

Agreed! >>>Proper health conditioning does not happen overnight.
.......I hate running and I hurt all over (back, foot, legs) but can do hikes and walks OK and still keep my cardio target zone.

I can't run, trying to save my joints as long as possible.

My physical condition is best described as definitely bringing up the rear. Almost 2 years of working with a trainer to get full range of motion, so my comments are mostly self talk at best.

Breaking it into smaller goals is what works for me.

Just now starting to plug objectivity into the diet side. Hopefully, % body fat will improve.

A lot of things make up altitude tolerance-a certain amount of genetic physiology is a fact. Doesn't mean you can't do it, just means you'll have to do it differently.

I'll get that taken car of. That won't be an issue. I've got the drive. I just want to train as best as I can for the altitude.

Just work to get your lungs and legs under you. Hike with a pack weighted at what you plan to carry and walk/hike 2-3 times a week til you get up to 6-8 miles a day.
You dont have to run, in fact if you ever see me running you better run too cuz $hits gone south and were fixing to be in a bad way. LOL

I was surprised to see Texas has Guadalupe Peak at 8500 or so feet.

It looks like a days drive from you, but my recollection of driving across Texas is everything being a days drive away. Good Luck!

Just work to get your lungs and legs under you. Hike with a pack weighted at what you plan to carry and walk/hike 2-3 times a week til you get up to 6-8 miles a day.
You dont have to run, in fact if you ever see me running you better run too cuz $hits gone south and were fixing to be in a bad way. LOL

I'm getting one of the bowflex x5 units for the stair stepper deal. I'm not real big on running a lot as I've focused on weight training. Climbing is my main focus for now. Then I'll get focused on distance stuff. I've got 10 months.

It will take 3-5 years for a person's body to build enough red corpuscles for enough oxygen to motivate well at altitude! Natives of the mountains....are BORN WITH IT!! If you're a flat-lander.....you're screwed!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.