Alaska: the Last Elk Frontier

ADMIN

Administrator
When I think of Alaska, elk hunting has never been the first thing to pop into my head. Moose sure, caribou definitely, Dall sheep of course…but elk? Hell, I'd never even heard of anyone hunting elk there. Yet here I was, staring into the dark, sipping a beer in the middle of nowhere, and taking in the feeling of accomplishment on the greatest elk hunt I've ever experienced. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Alaska: the Last Elk Frontier, By Remi Warren. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

"but what looked like a manageable walk turned into twice that as we battled miles of alder and devil's club"

This brought a bout of shivers as I relived rolling downhill through an especially thick patch of devils club (So very aptly named) while Roosevelt elk hunting in the Washington state coastal rainforest. Never ever want to do that again...

I had no idea they had rosies in AK. That's awesome! I love chasing them in the north Cascades and would agree on how big they can get. What a wonderful trip, thanks for sharing the story with us to celebrate success with you. =)
You mentioned there are two options for tags: a draw and otc. I thought the otc option was lost rut, but in your story it sounded like you were there for the rut. Did you and your brother each get drawn for a tag?!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.