AK caribou

Win.308Stealth

We are planning on going to AK first week of September for caribou, off of the Dalton highway. two of grew up in AK but havent hunted in AK yet, one of the guys is from AK but has not hunted caribou or past the Brooks Range. We are planning on hiking in the five miles, staying a few days and hiking back out. Just wondering if you would be able to share your experiences with me. What kind of weather does one need to be prepared for? Boots- leather hiking/hunting, rubber, or hip waders, etc. Do we need rain gear, and what kind would you recommend. Are there lots of bears in the area? Can one leave meat in camp and go hunting for the day? Can you debone the meat and leave the bones in the field? What are the average shots taken distance wise? And anything else you can think of that I am missing. Thank you in advance. Paul Erofeeff

Just ran across this one. You'll have to let us know how the hunt went. Must have been fun hiking the 5 miles on tussocks.

Just ran across this one. You'll have to let us know how the hunt went. Must have been fun hiking the 5 miles on tussocks.

We floated the Sag until it took us out two mikes away from the Dalton. We then proceeded to pack our gear in the next 3 miles out. This was the first time any of us was up there in the tussex. We decided to hike it in upstream of a tributary of the Sag. Instead of following the creek, because it snakes, we decided to walk as the crow flies. BIGGEST MISTAKE WE MADE. It took us almost 4 hours to hike in 2 miles, with half of our gear (70-80lb/person). We then ran into a fellow who was hugging the Creek as he hiked in, we noticed there was a trail running along the creek. We then had to go back for the rest of our gear food, tent, raft. The second hike only took us about an hour there and back. That's when we learned to stay yo the creek.

First day we set up camp, my buddy tagged a small caribou, about two miles up stream. We packed in the raft and gloated him down to camp. Second day my brother got s bull in the same spot as the day before. Again we packed in the raft and floated him back to camp. My brothers shot was an 850 yard shot with a 6.5 Creedmore in a Savage. The 142 gr. A-max broke both shoulders, did its job perfectly, but did not exit.
Best hunt of my life. At the same time one of the hardest things I ever did in my life. Will do it again in a heartbeat. Already planning to go in a few years.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.