AICS Mag Question

Josh06

I just got the MDT HNT26 stock for my savage 280ai. It requires 3.850 length AICS mags. I want to use the Magpul Pmag but curious if anyone knows if they will hold a 280ai case since they are designed for the larger 300wm size cases. I called magpul but had to leave a message. I want to use the pmags because they are smaller/lighter than the steel mag I have. Also, are there any other polymer 3.850 length AICS mags or 3 round steel mags out there?

Last edited:
Learned a few lessons here.....
1. The magpul magnum AICS mags are not 3.850 CIP length, they are 3.7 same as the standard, which is clearly stated on magpul's website.
2. 280ai works fine in the magnum magpul magazine.
3. Polymer/lightweight 3.850 CIP length mags don't exist that I have been able to find.

So I roughed up the front of one of the Magpul mags, created a mold and put a layer of jb weld on it to get it to the right length. Working great, have cycled a couple mags full of ammo through it with no failures.

Attachments

• IMG_1452.jpg
    IMG_1452.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 35
I like the design! The magpul polymer mags are nice, just wish they had a CIP length. I've got a 6.5 Sherman and recently purchased a Manners PRS1 with CIP length mini chassis. The Sherman cases (similar to your 280 AI) feed fine out of the supplied metal AI mag (after some initial tuning), but I may have to try modifying a pmag!

I used a 1/4 drill bit and just started it so it peeled up some of the polymer so the jb weld had something good to adhere too. I have my second one curing right now. Once it's cured I use a dremmel and belt sander to get it fitted.

Edit - 3/16 bit, not 1/4.