actions.......all sizes welcome

ARlife4me

i want only inputs on why you chose the action(s) you did and were the choices because of cartridge used? when other members post, don't give reasons why you didn't choose that action, thanks! i'm just looking across the board of what there is and what may fit my wants. i have only hands on experience with savage 110's for custom builds i did. other than that i've shot rem's (father owned), winchester mod70's (father and i both own), browning and only 110's with factory builds in 300wm and 338lm.

This should be interesting. I have a Winchester model 70, 30-06 push feed that was purchased at a pawn shop, so my kids would not beat up my old Remington 721. It shot 3-inch groups on a good day. After a few years I had a custom barrel built for it in 25-06 and the action trued. Put it in a B&C medalist stock, added a Timney trigger and it shoots .5-to-.7-inch groups today.
Same basic thing was done with a commercial Mauser 98 action, a Remington 722, a Remington 721. I enjoy making old rifles shoot well. Following this one.

With many custom actions out there is where I'm leaning on this, but all replies are good. Defiance and others or just factory production completes that get redone is welcome in this thread also.

I choose an action size to suit the cartridge length, nothing else.
I prefer CRF, but this is not mandatory as I build most of my customs on trued REM 700 LA or SA. Most of my CRF builds are on Win Model 70 or Kimber 8400 actions.
For big cartridges, like those based on 416 Rigby cases, I use CZ550 Safari Magnum actions, these are 3.850" long and easily modified to handle 4" or longer cartridges. I use them as single shots if longer than the standard 3.85" is being used. They hold 4 down in 416 Rigby, 5 down in 404 Jeffrey and 6 down in belted mags except 300/338/378 Weatherby, but hold 4 down with them too.
It is truly a large action, pity they were discontinued.
For customs, I like Borden and Granite Mountain.

Cheers.

Kelbly actions, they are silky smooth and I like the mechanical ejector. Terminus is another one I like, it has the screw in trigger pins, no more pounding with a hammer and punch to install and remove a trigger, they have a 60 degree bolt throw, which is nice. The Kelbly actions have now came out with a 75 degree bolt throw, which should be another icing on the cake with them.

Might help to give us an idea of what it is your are wanting the action for. Lots of variables for hunting alone, but then add in target / competition shooting adds another level.

I use 4 custom actions:
Favorite all around: Defiance for smoothness, weight savings, trigger/cam timing and variable lengths.

Zermatt for cost , variable lengths and changeable bolt heads. (~850$)

SOLUS for cost, changeable bolt heads and shorter bolt throw.(~700$)

First custom was a Tuebor Ti for cost/weight savings and trigger timing.

For hunting rifle builds I've been buying Defiance Anti actions. Mostly because of the lighter weight and mag box length. Some I set up with pic rail some with Talley rings. For shooting where weight doesn't matter I really like Impact Precision. Short action 737R is mag fed only long action 777 can be both BDL or mag. The actions are a little fatter but man they are slick. Probably my favorite I've tried. Impact does make the NBK which I believe is lighter. No experience with those yet.

Lone Peak Razor SA

Weight (light for steel)
Magazine length
BDL bottom metal
700 Foot print
Integrated recoil lug
Full nitride
Timed threads
Price
Availability

No regrets, features are not listed in order of importance except for the 1st three they were equally important.

Terminus Apollo
Same reasons as above but I traded weight for 3,lug 60 deg throw bolt.

Again no regrets

Last edited:
Terminus has the most features of any custom receiver in the industry.

Patented threaded trigger pins
Proprietary DLC finish on the entire receiver
Unbinding 3 lug design
60* bolt lift
Guaranteed headspace
Unparalleled customer service
The 2023 PRS Pro Series was won with a Terminus Zeus.

I have;

- terminus Zeus
- ks arms sa3r
- bighorn tl3
- ultimatum deadline gen 2
- kelbly atlas tac
- defiance deviant
- lone peak fuzion
- impact 737r

And had
- curits vector
- stiller tac 30
- surgeon 591

Every new build gets a different action for 1 reason and 1 reason only. Majority of people and these threads can be very biased on there choice when most haven't tried multiple actions. Not saying everyone but a lot.

I can tell you one thing, all of these builds have shot exceptionally well and not one action over the other has proven to be the direct reason for one being more accurate then the other and now this could be slightly incorrect when considering benchrest accuracy but non of my builds were benchrest builds.

Now for sure some actions have a more features, some have a more refined feel, some are smoother, some are better timed, some have better service side of things. I don't believe you can go wrong as long as you pick a reputable brand and a reputable smith. Now I do have a few I prefer over the others.

The terminus line of actions come with some of the best service out there. The threaded trigger pins are what every action should have. They are smooth, and I really like them.

Lone peak is a beautifully finished and insanely smooth action. They are very similar to the impact but I find it a little smoother, slightly better timed with the trigger techs.

Ks sa3r is a great 3 lug action. Feels very well built, smooth, fast. It's a happy medium of bolt lift and close especially for a 3 lug.

Finally the Kelblys. I've owned 2 of them and they are especially for the money a heck of an action. With service matching that of terminus, a family run company there actions are very smooth.

Last edited:
Might help to give us an idea of what it is your are wanting the action for. Lots of variables for hunting alone, but then add in target / competition shooting adds another level.

I use 4 custom actions:
Favorite all around: Defiance for smoothness, weight savings, trigger/cam timing and variable lengths.

Zermatt for cost , variable lengths and changeable bolt heads. (~850$)

SOLUS for cost, changeable bolt heads and shorter bolt throw.(~700$)

First custom was a Tuebor Ti for cost/weight savings and trigger timing.
This is a nonspecific build for me. Trying to research about what actions members use for their purposes? This might give me insight on where or what to buy next. Trying to branch out from 110 actions just for something different. I have no issues with them, but many custom actions that use 700 footprint seem to have more options. So far I haven't built anything with a larger bolt face than .535". I do want to build something with a .585/.590 face within the next year.

Terminus Zeus QC Tenon
- 60* lift
- Threaded trigger pins
- Ability to swap barrels in seconds

Probably my favorite action in my safe.

Zermatt TL3 x 2
- 90 * lift
- Very smooth as a result
- interchangeable bolt heads (made my 22-250 AI into a 300 BLK in 10 min).
- Integral rail and lug (compared to Origin)
- Tons of prefit options as well

Stiller predator
- my first custom action several years ago
- solid action, but no incredible features

Recent Posts