actions.......all sizes welcome

ARlife4me

i want only inputs on why you chose the action(s) you did and were the choices because of cartridge used? when other members post, don't give reasons why you didn't choose that action, thanks! i'm just looking across the board of what there is and what may fit my wants. i have only hands on experience with savage 110's for custom builds i did. other than that i've shot rem's (father owned), winchester mod70's (father and i both own), browning and only 110's with factory builds in 300wm and 338lm.

This should be interesting. I have a Winchester model 70, 30-06 push feed that was purchased at a pawn shop, so my kids would not beat up my old Remington 721. It shot 3-inch groups on a good day. After a few years I had a custom barrel built for it in 25-06 and the action trued. Put it in a B&C medalist stock, added a Timney trigger and it shoots .5-to-.7-inch groups today.
Same basic thing was done with a commercial Mauser 98 action, a Remington 722, a Remington 721. I enjoy making old rifles shoot well. Following this one.

With many custom actions out there is where I'm leaning on this, but all replies are good. Defiance and others or just factory production completes that get redone is welcome in this thread also.

I choose an action size to suit the cartridge length, nothing else.
I prefer CRF, but this is not mandatory as I build most of my customs on trued REM 700 LA or SA. Most of my CRF builds are on Win Model 70 or Kimber 8400 actions.
For big cartridges, like those based on 416 Rigby cases, I use CZ550 Safari Magnum actions, these are 3.850" long and easily modified to handle 4" or longer cartridges. I use them as single shots if longer than the standard 3.85" is being used. They hold 4 down in 416 Rigby, 5 down in 404 Jeffrey and 6 down in belted mags except 300/338/378 Weatherby, but hold 4 down with them too.
It is truly a large action, pity they were discontinued.
For customs, I like Borden and Granite Mountain.

Cheers.