• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Accumark & Swarovski

Crane

.30-.378 Weatherby Accumark with 6x24x50 PH Swarovski. Target knobs, sun shade & Swarovski lens covers. I have fired the gun less than 50 rounds. Will provide brass and remaining rounds. $2300

Retail value $3000+

I was gonna rebarrel to a longer tube but Fiftydriver talked me out of using the Weatherby and building a new rifle, this sale is to help finance that endeaver.

[ QUOTE ]

I was gonna rebarrel to a longer tube but Fiftydriver talked me out of using the Weatherby and building a new rifle, this sale is to help finance that endeaver.

[/ QUOTE ]

??? What could be a better platform for a 378 class case than a Mark 5? In the future I am looking to put 30" barrels on my Weatherby's and was looking at Kirby to do it. Now you got me wondering. Your thoughts please.

My thoughts exactly until I talked to several gunsmiths. Most, but not all were of the same opinion that Mark V actions are difficult to get 100% lug contact and were generally more troublesome to build on than other actions namely a Remington 700 or my preference, Nesika. Two of the reasons I kept hearing repeatedly were shorter shank and that the 9 smaller lugs were weaker than 2 large ones. Kirby has built rifles on the Mark V action but prefers not to because of the difficulty he has attaining his accuracy guarantee. Maybe he'll chime in on this thread or you could give him a call. One very good reason he gave me was my Weatherby would most likely bring more in a sale unmodified; the logic made sense to me. Although a re-barrel would be cheaper even though the rifle doesn't need it I have the itch for a total custom that comes from reading this board wwaaayyyyy to much.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

UH-OH!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Kirb, you're not going to do the same with a CZ shooter, now are you?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

My recommendation was mainly a result of recommending the Nesika Bay receiver over the Wby MkV.

I am not saying an accurate rifle can not be built using a Wby MkV but I do know for a fact that some Wby MkV receivers simply WILL NOT produce the extreme consistancy every time that some other receivers will.

There are a couple reasons for this. Mainly the lug design is very difficult to get all nine locking lugs to bare evenly. Also, with longer, heavier barrels, the barrel shank threads are relatively short in the MkV receiver. The shorter the thread engagement, the less rigid the barrel upon firing. This is exaggerated the heavier the barrel is and the longer the barrel is.

There is simply no comparison to the Nesika receiver for building a rifle on the big wby case. To be honest, a properly set up Rem 700 will perform much better then the Wby MkV on average.

Again, I am not saying one can not build an accurate rifle using the Wby receiver, But there is a chance that it will not perform to the standard my customers and I expect from an APS rifle.

Its kind of hard to tell a customer that this is the best performance he will get after he drops $2500-$3000 on a complete custom rifle.

When we are dealing with this amount of hard earned money, I am going to do my damnest to give my customer a rifle that has the best chance to exceed their expectations. As such I do not recommend the Wby MkV as a receiver to build an extreme accuracy long range rifle on.

Just one smiths opinion so take that for what you will. I have been burned a couple times using the Wby, and have yet to be burned with the Rem, Nesika or BAT receivers.

Take it for what you will, my customers are the boss, they make the final decision, I just give recommendations from my personal experience.

One other thing, the extractor on the MkV is a disaster waiting to happen, weakest link in the receiver in my opinion and a very critical one with these large diameter cases.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

(let me add in the part he left out.)

P.S...........and this is a great deal y'all should jump on it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Derek

Price drop $2100.00
I'm too happy with it to take less than that.

I wasn't considering selling the rifle alone as I thought the Swarovski would make the entire package more appealing; however make an offer on the rifle alone if interested. I'll be busy killing wildlife with it unless I hear from someone.

Thanks.