A Question for Contender Hunters

My uncle's Contender only had a 12" barrel, and he used a cross-chest (similar to a "tanker" style) holster.

His leather lanyard was only about 3/8" maybe a bit wider, adjustable in length so once adjusted it gave immediate, proper scope eye relief. It was small, lightweight, and very unobtrusive! You hardly even knew it was there! It's only purpose, was to provide proper scope eye relief…..not to carry the handgun! memtb

My uncle drilled his below the hammer opening, at the top of the grip….it would be above the web of the hand between the thumb and index finger!

So, when the lanyard is pulled snug…..the pull is straight rearward! memtb
Ok, that sounds better. Pulls straight back. Show pictures of what you do. I may try it. I thought the attachment was to the side of the frame.

View attachment 482824
I saw a similar sling/shooting aid a long time ago in a gun shop but my 10" 30-30 doesn't have swivels. So, I just made a loop out of 1/2" webbing that I throw over my shoulder and neck, and then I slide the front of the loop up the handgrip behind the trigger guard when I am ready to shoot. I then wrap my fingers over it to hold it in place. It isn't pretty but it really steadies things up.

Ok, that sounds better. Pulls straight back. Show pictures of what you do. I may try it. I thought the attachment was to the side of the frame.

No sir….. not to frame side, so it would/should be a straigh-back pull!

I wish that I had the handgun so I could provide a photo of how he did it. He offered it to me about 15 years ago, but I could afford to buy it. He was nearing 90 at the time, and was getting rid of most of his hunting equipment!

He also offered to sell me his "Bull Barreled Ruger Mark II with a 2X Leupold at the same time……couldn't get it either.

I still regret not getting at least one of those two…..we made several outings together, and I got to shoot both!

I'll go "dig-out" my Contender, and see if I can show where he did the drill/tap work. memtb

Rosebud, I went downstairs and took a look at my Contender…..a Gen II (I think) bought in early '90's, so the serial # location may be different on the Gen I's.

On mine, which has the original Pachmyar grips, if my memory serves me correctly ……his would have been drilled/tapped just below the serial #. My grips would have to have a small portion right at the top removed to access the frame just below the serial #.

In looking at mine, assuming that the frame grip area is identical on the Gen I's…..I'm assuming that he drilled/tapped at a downward angle, to give adequate clearance during recoil between the ring stud and the web of the shooter's hand!

I also can't remember if he still had the original grips or had replace d them with aftermarket!

I think that a friend of the family has the handgun, I'll try and find out….maybe I could get a photo of the modified area!

I'm sorry that I can't offer many concrete eye details! ☹️ memtb

cool idea. I had to use a good rest or bipod with my contender.

Years ago, when I used to do a lot of loc on limb gun hunting, an older club member made a rope and strap for me to use in the tree. The strap went around the tree about head height when standing and the rope loop hung down. When making a longer shot, you put the front of the stock into the look and leaned out, the tightened rope would add a level of stability to your shot. I found a shooting stick to work better, but the idea had been implemented by me once while shooting my contender out of a tree and it worked pretty well when I lost/dropped my stick walking in and had to make the loop out of paracord.

cool idea. I had to use a good rest or bipod with my contender.

Years ago, when I used to do a lot of loc on limb gun hunting, an older club member made a rope and strap for me to use in the tree. The strap went around the tree about head height when standing and the rope loop hung down. When making a longer shot, you put the front of the stock into the look and leaned out, the tightened rope would add a level of stability to your shot. I found a shooting stick to work better, but the idea had been implemented by me once while shooting my contender out of a tree and it worked pretty well when I lost/dropped my stick walking in and had to make the loop out of paracord.
I used to do the same only used bungee cord material Worked fairly well for woods hunting

Rosebud, I went downstairs and took a look at my Contender…..a Gen II (I think) bought in early '90's, so the serial # location may be different on the Gen I's.

On mine, which has the original Pachmyar grips, if my memory serves me correctly ……his would have been drilled/tapped just below the serial #. My grips would have to have a small portion right at the top removed to access the frame just below the serial #.

In looking at mine, assuming that the frame grip area is identical on the Gen I's…..I'm assuming that he drilled/tapped at a downward angle, to give adequate clearance during recoil between the ring stud and the web of the shooter's hand!

I also can't remember if he still had the original grips or had replace d them with aftermarket!

I think that a friend of the family has the handgun, I'll try and find out….maybe I could get a photo of the modified area!

I'm sorry that I can't offer many concrete eye details! ☹️ memtb
Sense TCs aren't being made anymore I'd be very reluctant to drill a hole anywhere on it. Like the CZ mini mausers that have been discontinued the price is sure to move up. The CZ 527 doubled overnight when CZ announced the move to the Alpha model.

Recent Posts