A quest for accuracy.

RT2506

Just to have something to play with I decided to try handloading shotgun slugs. I got a Lee 1 oz. turnkey mold and cast up a bunch of slugs with pure lead. I have a Rem. 870 Super Mag 28" barrel that is set up as my turkey gun with a BSA 1.5 -4.5 shotgun scope. I bought a Rem. rifled choke tube for it. I could not find any Blue Dot or Herco powder that the load data that came with the mold suggested. I did find some Hodgdon Longshot that I found by doing a lot of looking at load data would work. I decided to try 35 grs Longshot in a Winchester case using a Fed. 209A primer with a Claybuster WAA12 wad and the slug does weigh 1 oz on the money and this loads up perfectly with a standard star crimp. From what I extrapolate from the load data it should be doing 1550 to 1600 fps. I went to the range and set up at 50 yards hoping to keep my shots on a 4'x6' piece of cardboard :rolleyes:. I did put a target in the middle :D. I loaded up 4 rounds for my first test. From the bench rest I aimed at the center of the target and squeezed the trigger. Boom, it felt like I had shot a factory slug load so that was good. Looked back through the scope and 1" above where I was aiming was a BIG hole WOW. Shot another round and it cut half of the first hole, WOW! WOW! Shot the third shot and I got on the trigger a little too much with a JERK and the slug hit 1" higher and 1/2" to the right of the other two, DANG IT! I tightened up on the nut behind the butt plate, ME, and squeezed the trigger on my last round gun) and it cut the right half of the first shot I fired. COOL! Three shots in a ragged hole at 50 yards. Now back to the loading bench to load up some more and give them a try at 100 yards. Results to come soon. PS, I did find some Blue Dot so I am going to give 44 grs with the above components a try also.

Had good luck with the Lee. Shot good at 50 but opened up at 100 some. Could still kill a deer with them though. Hard to stop using Federal with Barnes Expanders. Like hitting them in the head with a creek rock.

No I got caught up in life situations and have not had time to fool with anymore loads and have not even got to try the first loads at 100 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.