A&D FX-120i Observations

Mark37082

I realize I am late to the party on upgrading my scales, but I finally pulled the trigger on A&D. First off, the initial impressions were great. It provides a significant boost in confidence in consistent charge weight. It responds very quickly to single kernel changes and drifting seems to be an issue of the past. Now I understand the need to upgrade my way of trickling charges. The old RCBS trickler is not ideal. Using tweezers to drop or remove a kernel or two is not going to cut it for me.

Others have gone in on the full trickler system, but I just can't justify the $$$ right now. I have been impressed Area 419 products. However, I started adding up all their accessories and nearly passed out. It's probably been covered in other threads, but I thought I would float this out for what others thought for is the best and cost efficient approach.

I've been lusting over the V4 but can't quite make it make sense for me yet. I run a charge master then double check and adjust on a Creedmoor Sports TRX 925 scale. I use a Frankfort trickler to adjust up when needed. Not speedy but not terrible. About 100 benchrest rounds in an hour.
If you load monthly, or say more than 500 rounds a year, it will make loading so much more enjoyable.

I have the v4 and it's at least 3x faster over a chargemaster due to overall speed and lack of overthrows.

I am on the wait list for the ingenuity one to see if it is even faster.

It is the last thing I would give up from my reloading setup.

dandy tickler is a decent gateway drug for people with deep pockets and short arms.

much faster than other nonautomated setups I've had. Set your throw slightly under, throw it on the scale, tap button once or twice to get it right on. done.

probably put out a want to buy ad for a used one since lots of people have moved over to automated throwers. Just don't get ripped off because WTB ads seem to be bait for scammers

dandy tickler is a decent gateway drug for people with deep pockets and short arms.

much faster than other nonautomated setups I've had. Set your throw slightly under, throw it on the scale, tap button once or twice to get it right on. done.

probably put out a want to buy ad for a used one since lots of people have moved over to automated throwers. Just don't get ripped off because WTB ads seem to be bait for scammers
The Dandy Trickler seems like an option I may want to consider. It may be another lesson in buy once cry once that I have failed at few times. If it is much more precise than my current trickler and helps me speed up the final charge, I can live with that. I will say the A&D FX-120 clearly shows how sloppy my previous scales have been.

I have only been reloading for a short while compared to many here. Upgrading a little at a time has worked well so far. The scale was my weakest link. However, I'm sure I will be finding other things that will lighten my wallet soon enough.

I would say if you can get the V4 to go for it, my biggest thing was the time savings and accuracy over my Chargemaster. My charge master would throw charges +/- 0.2 grains and take 45 seconds to 1 minute to do so. The V4 is +/- 0.02 grains and throws in 10 to 15 seconds easily tripling my output per hour.

It is actually fast enough that I run it with my AP press and by the time I cycle the press and set up the case and bullet for the next cycle it is ready with the powder charge. Now if I was using a case feeder and bullet drop it may not be as fast but for what I'm doing the trickler isn't the bottleneck in my speed anymore.

The Dandy Trickler seems like an option I may want to consider. It may be another lesson in buy once cry once that I have failed at few times. If it is much more precise than my current trickler and helps me speed up the final charge, I can live with that. I will say the A&D FX-120 clearly shows how sloppy my previous scales have been.
I learned this lesson years ago...

Attachments

• BOCO.jpg
    BOCO.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 32