7X seems like even less

tmarvin

I was shooting my new M77 .338 RCM today for the first time. I have mounted a Leupold VX-R 2-7X33mm scope on it. I planned this as a mid-range hunting system-out to 400 yards max but I have to say I was shocked at how little magnification 7X provides. The eye relief is great and the clarity is terrific, but I must be spoiled by my 18X and 25X scopes. Even at 100 yards sighting in, the aiming point almost covers a one inch circle. I ran out of time before I worked out to 200 yards but I'm worried that I will have trouble seeing the target bullseye.

I guess I'm asking, how far out should you be able to shoot with 7X magnification?

Well, I'm guessing you're not trying to snipe ground squirrels and gophers with a .338 RCM, I assume you'll be hunting game that's at least deer-sized and larger
so you really won't NEED lots of magnification.

If you intend to hunt big game at 400 yards or less, then 7X should be enough, but it's always better to hunt with what you're comfortable with. If that means trading the 2-7 in for a 3-9 or even a 2.5-10 then so be it.

When optics first became popular, the best "all around" choice was thought to be a fixed 2.5X or 4X. A 6X scope was for loooooong shots in wide open country. No sane person ever thought of using such ridiculously high powered scopes as 10X or more.

Oh how things have changed...

"Oh how things have changed..."........and not always for the better either.

7X may not be enough to suit you but its sufficient to get the job done...as the previous poster has stated. Many a mule deer or elk has been brought to earth with a lowly 4X scope.

I had no problem seeing (and shooting) a crow at 500 yds with my Nightforce scope set at 12x. It's all about resolution, definition, etc. Magnification is really not as important as some may think. But .......... some like chocolate while others prefer vanilla. :D

I have shot plenty of squirrels with my 22 at 200-250 yards using a 6.5 power scope. You don't really need lots of magnification to shoot out to 400 yards, it just makes it easier to aim more precisely.

My personal preference is no less that 14x when shooting paper targets from a bench because that's the minimum power that I feel I can truly see where I'm aiming on the target. However, I've put a 9x scope on my 22-250 and shot the same .5-.75 MOA groups that I did with my 20x scope. When I shoot at animals its almost like instinct takes over and I don't really notice the magnification, or lack thereof.

Also, when you're shooting targets at 200 yards put a big 3 or 4 inch bright stickers to help you get on target a little easier.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts