7 STW barrel life

norm82

What kind of barrel life can I expect out of my 7 STW? I have put at least 500 rounds through it. I clean it after 25 rounds or so, and I don't let the barrel get too hot while at the range. I haven't noticed any signs of the accuracy changing. It has a Hart barrel on it. Ive done some chronograph work with it, and its at 3045 FPS with a 180gr. Berger. I would like some of you guys opinions on how much more I might get out of this barrel before I need to start looking into another one.

Can't answer your question directly but say this. Barrels are consumable, not as bad as powder, but consumable never the less with each shot. Order a replacement barrel now, so that in another 500, 600 or 700 rounds (depending on lots of venerable) from now you'll be ready with a replacement.

Good luck

Jerry

There are no free lunches so to speak.
The 7mm STW will go through BBL's depending on how much you shoot it, your loading practices, and how hot your barrel gets.
I rebarrel end mine at 1500 rounds, she still shot good groups but the velocity slowed as the throat eroded.
For many years I loaded 140gr Partitions and accubonds with a max load of IMR7828 for a muzzle velocity of 3625 fps. Layne Simpsons medium load for about 1989. ( Always use current load data)
My load was accurate and put the thumps on Elk way out there and is it was hell on sod dogs.
To increase my BBL life I would use a slow powder and heavier Bullets.
Mind you I will not shoot big game past let's say 600 yards, ( Wolves are the exception) my load is capable of much further but my self imposed limit of 600 yards insures for me Fair Chase.
Barrels on the STW may last several thousand rounds if one used the heaviest practical bullet for the job at hand as heavy Bullets require less powder possibly lower throat temps, your mileage will vary of course.
Love the STW been shooting it since 1994, yep I call mine "Old Meat in the Pot".

It may last as long as 2-3 seconds. At 3000 fps in a 24" barrel the bullet is in the barrel for 1/1500th of a sec.
Stinks to think about it like that doesn't it?

Your doing just fine, Congrats on your Hart bbl, they make a great one for sure !!! ive never burned up one of my STW bbls , go check out the STW section your answers there an great reading to boot!!!

A bit depends on the powder heat (how much energy in kilojoules per kilogram the powder makes), powder quantity, bore diameter and how hard you are on it. You're going to be burning somewhere near 80 grains of magnum rifle powder and your loads are on the upper end with those velocities so figure 1200-1500 before it's baked given optimal conditions.

So many variables no one can say.

Shoot it fast, hot and often and life will be short.

Never fire long shot strings, never shoot groups over three and never shoot more than 3 shots in rapid succession.

Never shoot it hot and keep shooting.

Avoid max loads

These will all significantly extend barrel life.

Meloniting can increase barrel life as much as 40-50% as well.

So many variables no one can say.

Shoot it fast, hot and often and life will be short.

Never fire long shot strings, never shoot groups over three and never shoot more than 3 shots in rapid succession.

Never shoot it hot and keep shooting.

Avoid max loads

These will all significantly extend barrel life.

Meloniting can increase barrel life as much as 40-50% as well.

Do everything WildRose says. I didn't follow any of it and I'm on a new barrel on mine only after 3 years!! Although, I have to admit I just love shooting it and it's so flippin' accurate

Here's a conversation I had with Bartlein Barrels about 28 Nosler barrel life
I didn't like what I heard so I shifted it to 7MM STW Here you go?
Awesome, thanks for the info!
Do you think a 7MM STW might be a better choice?
profile_mask2.png

[email protected]
Oct 29, 2018, 9:50 AM (11 days ago)

to me
cleardot.gif

All those big boomers with a little hole are about the same---BUT, **** there're fun!
And when you want to reach across a canyon and put a smack down on something, they'll do it.

Thanks, Mark

....What kind of barrel life can I expect out of my 7 STW? I have put at least 500 rounds through it. I clean it after 25 rounds or so, and I don't let the barrel get too hot while at the range. I haven't noticed any signs of the accuracy changing.....

Threads a couple of years old, it would be nice if OP could answer his own question at this point.

Barrel life continues to be a an ongoing subject though. Perhaps it's from a lack of a definition suitable for all disciplines.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts