611 yd 34" NM Oryx

Autorotate,

Congrats on the long shot and getting the rifle to completion. Could I bother you for a fireformed piece of brass sometime?

Kinda cool to see something you originally thought up do what it's supposed to do.

Take care,

Jon

Autorotate,

Congrats on the long shot and getting the rifle to completion. Could I bother you for a fireformed piece of brass sometime?

Kinda cool to see something you originally thought up do what it's supposed to do.

Take care,

Jon

Thank you Jon.

That shot had more to do with Score High Gunsmith's ability to put together a straight shooting rifle, and my luck, then my shooting ability though:)

On the brass you bet. The chamber spec isn't exactly as per the RUMBO print, as Mr. Robertson "short chambered" the RUMBO reamer approx .036 so that the 300 RUM SAAMI neck/shoulder junction dimension was maintained....or in other words, the gun was chamber/headspaced on 300 RUM factory virgin brass, so the throat is that much shorter as well. This was to enable the use of factory ammo. Quickload says there's still another grain of capacity left, if you used the RUMBO Go Guage vs brass to set headspace, as this would "Gibbs" the shoulder forward the .036 as per your and Dave's design.

The shoulder diameter is right at .540 now, and have cases with 5 firings on them that are still extracting fine despite the .0053 body taper.

With the 210 VLDs right at at the lands, the COAL is 3.920 or the best I can measure using a Stoney Point guage.

The cases hold right at 119 grains of water with a reverse seated primer, and the water level even with the case neck.

I hear you on the satisfaction of seeing it come together....I was anxious on this build, and am now happy as a clam with this rifle and the results.

One quick plug for the Holland QD brake...I know there are a lot of good brakes out there, but this rifle just puffs at you with the 210 VLDs. With the 240s, it huffs and puffs:) but is still a ***** cat.

In a way, even though it doesn't completely 'max' the design, it's nice to be able to use factory loads if need be. Seems like a good compromise.

Yes, Dave Kiff assured me that this design should extract just fine based on his experience with many wildcats. I was a bit concerned about his, but he wasn't. Interesting.

I'll PM you re the fired case. That'd be great to have. I'd appreciate it.

I'll ask Kirby to install one of his PK brakes on the 338AX for sure. I jsut shot my 300RUM with 240's doing about 2940 or just under 3000 (two lots of powder) about 60+ times the other day. With a very hard hold, it's not too bad--no bruising or shoulder soreness--using a Kick-eez pad. Pretty decent accuracy when I do my part as well. Just be nice to not have to worry about thta so much and be able to spot my own shots more easily.

Thanks again,

Jon

Autorotate,

I'd be curious to see what would happen with Vihtavouri 20N29 and the 240 SMK in your rifle. I still just wonder if everything else is a bit too fast. Contemplating trying that powder in my 300RUM with 240SMK's.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.