6 Dasher Build

rcompart

I am starting to put together my 6 Dasher setup that I've been dreaming about for a few years now and I'm running into some issues with the stock and barrel choices. What I've nailed down so far with my build is the BAT Hammerhead with a TriggerTech Diamond (still waffling between the traditional vs pro curve) and a Leupold Mk5HD I'm planning on pulling off my M95.

I keep getting hung up on barrel life and round count before things start opening up between the various barrels. I'm not planning on competing at this point but I'd hate to find out that I could have doubled the number of rounds I get from barrel X after I've already bought something else. I'm in Illinois so no suppressors unfortunately but muzzle brakes are ok so long as they don't hide muzzle flash.

Another thing I need to figure out is the stock. I'm really bummed as I fell in love with the MDT Timbr Frontier stock but they are discontinued and I can't find one anywhere. Any one find something else that's comparable to the look and features?

I'll take all the advice I can get from those of you that are avid with this platform. Thanks and be safe!

I compete in PRS with a 6 Dasher. First rifle barrel was Krieger - pulled at 2400 rounds still going strong. Second barrel Proof prefit - just pulled at 2400 rounds going strong - replaced with another Proof prefit (lots of value for me). At end of PRS season, will put the Proof 2400 round count barrel back on run it for a few months in practice. Had good luck with Rock Creek in a previous 6.5 Creedmoor.

The point is my observation is a quality barrel will last approximately the same as the most expensive barrel. Bartlein offers an "extended barrel life" blank but at a premium - jury seems out on that still. I am sticking with Proof prefits in 6 Dasher for PRS competition.

Stocks and chassis are VERY subjective. You will have to be more specific on what features you want for your rifle.

I love Dasher - have fun!

I would confirm that prefit barrels are widely available for that action if barrel life, replacing barrels, etc. are a goal.

If you do not plan to compete - no telling how a Dasher barrel will last at shorter ranges (less than 600 yards) - maybe 3000+. Competitors tend to pull barrels early as when the barrels go bad - they tend to lose velocity and accuracy suffers at longer ranges.

Last edited:
The MOD BB barrels from Bartlein are supposed to last a good bit longer, finding one in the next 18 months will be the challenge I think. I have not used one to know if it is any better but I would in a heartbeat, even if it doesn't last any longer you know it will be a really good to great barrel.

Powder choice is of major importance for barrel life. IMR, and H 4895 eat barrels due to the high Heat index, so does 8208. I started seeing flyers in my 6 Dasher around 1100 rounds and by 1400, considered the barrel junk for the IBS 600 Competition. Upon examination of the barrel, 9" of the barrel had significant erosion, and I cut the barrel back to 22" from 29" to get into "fresh" looking rifling. After cutting off 9", the bore dia is .001 over the muzzle dia., but the previously worn throat was .0024 over Muzzle dia. Muzzle dia are typically uniform from end to end on high-end custom barrels. This is not my first Dasher barrel.

I changed to the 6 XC shooting AA2700 and H4350 where barrel life is much greater by a long shot with 105-108g bullets. The 6 XC is also easier to tune with bullets in the above bullet weights, and my current 6 XC shoots better than any one of the dozens of 6 PPCs that I have ever owned. In this 6 XC, in 900 rounds the throat dia had only increased by .0002 and the leade growth was only .007. This lack of throat burning can be attributed to the longer neck and the cooler heat index of the powder used, this is huge. I am shooting 105s at 3150 fps in my 28" 6 XC using Palma brass with Rem 7 1/2.

On the Dasher barrel I have left, which is a 3 Groove, 3R from X caliber rifle barrels, I am shooting H4350 and seeing much less leade growth than the H4895 that I have shot in other Dasher barrels.

Whatever barrel you choose, examine with a bore scope prior to chambering, assume nothing. My favorites are Brux, Krieger, ABC but have never had a Rock Creek or a Proof. Service after the sale is a huge part of my like/dislike in choosing a barrel maker.

Powder choice is of major importance for barrel life. IMR, and H 4895 eat barrels due to the high Heat index, so does 8208. I started seeing flyers in my 6 Dasher around 1100 rounds and by 1400, considered the barrel junk for the IBS 600 Competition. Upon examination of the barrel, 9" of the barrel had significant erosion, and I cut the barrel back to 22" from 29" to get into "fresh" looking rifling. After cutting off 9", the bore dia is .001 over the muzzle dia., but the previously worn throat was .0024 over Muzzle dia. Muzzle dia are typically uniform from end to end on high-end custom barrels. This is not my first Dasher barrel.

I changed to the 6 XC shooting AA2700 and H4350 where barrel life is much greater by a long shot with 105-108g bullets. The 6 XC is also easier to tune with bullets in the above bullet weights, and my current 6 XC shoots better than any one of the dozens of 6 PPCs that I have ever owned. In this 6 XC, in 900 rounds the throat dia had only increased by .0002 and the leade growth was only .007. This lack of throat burning can be attributed to the longer neck and the cooler heat index of the powder used, this is huge. I am shooting 105s at 3150 fps in my 28" 6 XC using Palma brass with Rem 7 1/2.

On the Dasher barrel I have left, which is a 3 Groove, 3R from X caliber rifle barrels, I am shooting H4350 and seeing much less leade growth than the H4895 that I have shot in other Dasher barrels.

Whatever barrel you choose, examine with a bore scope prior to chambering, assume nothing. My favorites are Brux, Krieger, ABC but have never had a Rock Creek or a Proof. Service after the sale is a huge part of my like/dislike in choosing a barrel maker.
How fast were you running your 6 Dashers? How fast are you running your 6XC?

Welcome to LRH! Sounds like you have a pretty good plan đź‘Ť. Not sure on barrel life, but I have a Dasher with Hawk Hill barrel. Purchased second hand from member here and if he knew how well it was shooting - he might want it back! Approximately 700 rounds and still going strong. Has Lone Peak action and PRS2 stock. It has produced multiple sub half MOA groups in competition at 600 and 1000yd IBS. It shoots better than the operator. Presently running RL 15.5 powder and it's doing well. If I was building a Dasher, I would certainly consider getting some while it is available.
Good luck with your finishing choices!

2930-2960 on the Dasher at the best node with Berger 108s. I have pushed to 3030 but lost a tad bit of accuracy.

6 XC has two inches more barrel length with a node at 3150 with H4350 and another node at 3250 with R#17m but the Palma primer pockets only lasted five firings at that top end node with incredible accuracy.

Less throat and barrel wear is a real plus, and the accuracy is a given. I had 7T Krieger shooting DTac 115s, but did not get the small groups in the zero's and low 1s like I did with the 8T with 108s. The 115s were shooting in the 3s and that is not acceptable.

The Berger 105g Hunting VLD is worth building a rifle around from field results my family is getting, so is a 90g Game changer.

PRS world tends to run 6 Dasher with 105s at 2850 fps or slower. I run 115 DTACs at 2700 fps.

I ran a 6XC in PRS with 115DTACs at 2900ish with H4350 - that barrel died at 2000 rounds or less. Died spectacularly at a match - day 1 all ok the day 2 would get hits with flyers 2 ft from target.

Long time since I saw a 6XC at a PRS event. Different games for sure.

I currently have 3 dashers. Impact Precision with a Bartlein 5r MPA pro chassis TT Diamond pro curve. Defiance Anti with a Proof Carbon Manners EH1 TT Diamond pro curve. Borden BRMXD Cerus stock with a Brux and Bix and Andy trigger.
First Bartlein made it between 12-1400 rounds for 600 yard benchrest. Was still shooting a little better that 1:2" at 100. Replaced it with same spec barrel. Proof has 600 on it now as does the Brux. All 3 have been great. It's a fun cartridge about all I really care to shoot lately. Good luck!

I would go with an impact action. They have far better support out there than bat actions.

Call Garret, he's an amazing gun smith and prices are very reasonable.

Looks like he has put together some pretty good stuff. I wish he was closer as Idaho is not a place I can drive to and make a trip. I'd ask if anyone knows of a reputable PRS gunsmith here in Illinois but I guess anybody that's somebody isn't going to be living in this state.

What is the consensus on getting a prefit barrel to build it myself? I'm certainly no idiot but I'm also not going to even pretend that I know much of anything when it comes to the nuances of building a rifle that will open up the first hole in the paper with the next couple of shots but I'm not afraid to invest in learning to do so either if the necessary equipment doesn't preclude me from doing so.