6.6 PRC overpressure

Have a C Arms Ridgeline w 375 rounds through it. Some handloads w 57.6 g Retumbo @ 2996 fps. Recently started showing pressure signs and hints of Carbon ring (had scratches on the bullets of loaded unfired cartridges). Did a good cleaning w C-4, then bore paste and the problem persisted. Christensen was helpful in my interactions w them and had me send it back. They put a new barrel on it at no charge and sent it back. Now the problem is worse. I started the barrel break in and only got through 4 rounds of factory Hornaday 143,s that chronod @ 2860 with Garmin Xero Pro (quite slow). Each round had progressively worse ejector marks and I could barely force the bolt up after round four. Any input would be helpful as I am not sure what to do next... I sure can't shoot it as is. Pics of chamber w and w/out cartridge below.
6.5 PRC Chamber- Throat.JPG
6.5 PR w empty cartridge in chamber.JPG

How does the diameter of a fired neck compare to a loaded round?
Fired, .2970
Loaded, .2935

UPDATE: C Arms just called me and are going to replace the rifle. That's good customer service! Wish I hadn't had to go though this but I couldn't ask for a better outcome.
Still wld like to hear theories on the issue..

Fired, .2970
Loaded, .2935

UPDATE: C Arms just called me and are going to replace the rifle. That's good customer service! Wish I hadn't had to go though this but I couldn't ask for a better outcome.
Still wld like to hear theories on the issue..

Customer service would have been making the rifle right the first time. They had a chance to fix it as well. Their quality control is garbage, that rifle should never of made it to you

An overly tight chamber will do exactly what you describe.
It is an unknown until you start to measure everything accurately, calliper s are not accurate enough. My 338Edge I built was like this, tight neck, tight web line at .200" and tighter headspace than I asked for, it was in fact .002" negative headspace and the go-gauge was tight, but closed. The brass didn't like it all.
Gave me fits until I ran another chamber reamer in…

Cheers.

I'm not sure what they cost compared to a full custom, but the difference definitely sells rifles for them. Guys like to handle one before buying, understandably.
I have enough bad luck spending for what should be upper quality, if I went the 50/50 route it would be a disaster.

I had a Christensen CA10 in .308 that went back twice. The first time it was destroying cases, and the replacement upper didn't even pass a go/no go gauge test. The third upper worked like a charm, but it took 6 months and a dozen phone calls to get it. I would try to sell the replacement they send you and put the money into a custom. At least you'll know it's done right.

Last edited:
I picked up a used BA on here. It shoots lights out. I have noticed it pressures a little faster than I would like with handloads. Factory Hornady left ejector print, but the dual ejector springs are really tight. Loaded up some 140 Bergers and they aren't as fast as I would like and pressured up quick.

In intended to shoot lighter Hammers with it anyway and they are smokin fast.

Recent Posts