6.5x47L brass

6X47

Why is this brass more expensive than .260 lapua brass or any other short action brass lapua sells? I'm doing up a 6x47L looking for some used brass if possible

Why is this brass more expensive than .260 lapua brass or any other short action brass lapua sells? I'm doing up a 6x47L looking for some used brass if possible

Two theories:

1) The .260 uses the same parent case as the .243 and the .308. They make a ton of these cases with minor variation. Economies of scale and all that. 6.5x47 is a case onto it's own; smaller lots.

2) Lapua is the only game in town for 6.5x47L brass.

I'd lean towards #1.

-nosualc

I suspect nosulc is right, the 260 case is probably made during the same run as the 308 and 243 cases. They likely make a gazillion of the base stock brass then divide it up between them, economy of scale. I suspect they make a lot more of them than the 6.5x47 also, there are a bunch of 243/260/308's out there and the 6.5x47 isn't chambered in any factory rifles, it's only in custom rifles which is a very small market.

I wouldn't look to find any used 6.5x47 brass, I doubt we'll ever see it in any significant numbers.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.