6.5 Swede with Sierra bullet #1742

Herbie

I am looking to try the Sierra #1742 which is a 6.5 142 gr Matchking in my Tikka Hunter 6.5 Swede with a 1 in 8 twist and 22.4" barrel. The Sierra 6th edition has recipes but I want to know if anyone on LRH has tried this and how did it work out for them? I don't have the bullets yet but since ordering them questions have come to mind, such as:

Does the Swede push these fast enough to stabilize?

Does magazine length preclude useable charges in the Tikka?

Any input would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

The Sweede will stabilize the 160rn and 156 Bergers so 142mk should be no problem, though cirtainly not my first choice for critters.
The Sweede is a midlength case and Tikks is long but you still aint getting into the lands as they are throated long fot the 160rn. Never been an issue with my lite
R22,23 work great with the 140 class bullets.
The ELDs have been working for me. The 143s where very accurate, 147s drop eveything where it stood last fall and all I've been able to find this year is 130eld but will probably use the Tikka altralite in 30 06 and 168 A Maxes as its threaded for the can

The 142's were all I could find lately so I will practice with them and save my hunting bullets for game. I wish things would shake loose so components could be had.
thanks for the reply.

My 6.5 Swede was a military Carl Gustav '96 with a 4 groove 1:7.25" twist and shot those Sierra's almost as accurately as the Swedish match military 139g FMJ we used for competition to 500 metres.
One of the most accurate rifles that was not a custom I have ever owned, and the reason it was so accurate was from the Berdan primed match ammo. It always is superior when Berdan primed.

Cheers.

My 6.5 Swede was a military Carl Gustav '96 with a 4 groove 1:7.25" twist and shot those Sierra's almost as accurately as the Swedish match military 139g FMJ we used for competition to 500 metres.
One of the most accurate rifles that was not a custom I have ever owned, and the reason it was so accurate was from the Berdan primed match ammo. It always is superior when Berdan primed.

Cheers.
I shot my first deer with a Swede carbine 18 in barrel 139 gr Norma the 142 should be fine . The 6.5 Swede will do anything the Creedmore will do

I get shooting what we can find, all I could find in town was 130elds for $50/100.
Last year the Tikka in 6.5 Sweede filled all three tags with ease with 147eld but cant find them anywhere.
Gotta like the old Sweede, have an old Gustaf 17" enginees carbine that shoots way better than it should. The old Gustaf is much more forgiveing on loads than the new Tikka but the Tikka does very well with what it likes.
A new Tikka 338 Federal has been added this year so the Sweede might get the year off?

This will be the first hunting with my Swede if I get it going. Looking forward to it.
Here a while back I read where somtimes a certain bullet and cartridge just comes together and performs way above its expectations .That statement was made onTerminal Ballistics research describing the 120gr Barnes with the 6.5 Swede My go too load is the 125 gr Nosler Partition cci 250 mag and 47 grs of h4350 that being said being that Hammer bullets are available the 124 gr Hammer Hunter would be a good acc easy bullet too load for that cartridge . The 124 gr will probably exceed 3000 fps I apologise for changing the subject from Sierra but that bullet may be hard too get and a little finiky just trying too recommend something I think will work been shooting that round for over 50 yrs

Here a while back I read where somtimes a certain bullet and cartridge just comes together and performs way above its expectations .That statement was made onTerminal Ballistics research describing the 120gr Barnes with the 6.5 Swede My go too load is the 125 gr Nosler Partition cci 250 mag and 47 grs of h4350 that being said being that Hammer bullets are available the 124 gr Hammer Hunter would be a good acc easy bullet too load for that cartridge . The 124 gr will probably exceed 3000 fps I apologise for changing the subject from Sierra but that bullet may be hard too get and a little finiky just trying too recommend something I think will work been shooting that round for over 50 yrs
I will be looking for these. Hopefully something shows up soon. Thanks for the load info.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.