6.5 shermax max shooting 156 eol.

20drone19

I'm sorry for a stupid question. This caliber is totally new to me. I already have the action on hand. Brass and dies are ordered. gene at carbon six says he has only made a few barrel for the 6.5 max. He asked if I wanted any freeware for added seating depth. Called sherman ans they were not helpful. Plan on shooting 156 eol mostly but might plink around with the 143 eldx. Nothing other then these 2 bullets. Seeing if anyone had some info on the freeware. Gene is using a new 6.5 sherman max type b reamer if this helps.

The standard 6.5 Max reamer will work great for the 153/156gr Berger in my experience, as well as 144gr. Have no concerns.
What length action are you using?
Can I ask what is your over all length on the 6.5 Max with the 156 Berger bullets

I'm sorry for a stupid question. This caliber is totally new to me. I already have the action on hand. Brass and dies are ordered. gene at carbon six says he has only made a few barrel for the 6.5 max. He asked if I wanted any freeware for added seating depth. Called sherman ans they were not helpful. Plan on shooting 156 eol mostly but might plink around with the 143 eldx. Nothing other then these 2 bullets. Seeing if anyone had some info on the freeware. Gene is using a new 6.5 sherman max type b reamer if this helps.
I dont know how Derek or Tyler could not be helpful. I called and asked the same question for the max and mega 6.5s…went with the mega. Derek was very helpful. Also, depending on your action you may not be able to use any more freebore. Usually a longer freebore goes with a longer action.

I put a load on the Sherman load data page with a 153.5 LRHT at 3.097"
Don't recall exactly how much jump, that was my previous barrel but the same reamer.
Medium actions accommodate the Max cartridges nicely. Never tried it but I'm sure people use Long Actions with success.

Not to stoke fear or start a riot, but beware of the fact that Ti actions can show pressure earlier than steel.
Not all of them do this. Its not manufacturer specific.
Sometimes 2 identical actions can be different, fyi.

Can I ask what is your over all length on the 6.5 Max with the 156 Berger bullets
I dont know how Derek or Tyler could not be helpful. I called and asked the same question for the max and mega 6.5s…went with the mega. Derek was very helpful. Also, depending on your action you may not be able to use any more freebore. Usually a longer freebore goes with a longer action.
so dereck say if im going to seat the bullet longer then i need more freebore which is not that helpful. all carbon six was wondering since they have done literally 3 barrels in this caliber is if there was a tight tolerance or if its a little freebore there to seat the bullet longer if needed. all they want to know is if they should add a little freebore to the barrel. sorry for "my terminalogy" here im totally new to having a custom barrel made. thanks mike

Not to stoke fear or start a riot, but beware of the fact that Ti actions can show pressure earlier than steel.
Not all of them do this. Its not manufacturer specific.
Sometimes 2 identical actions can be different, fyi.
totally understand, im not going to be anywhere near max, my hope was and is to have a short barrel 6.5 max 22 to 23 inch barrel give me the same speeds as a 26 inch 6.5prc. im hoping i will be in the high 2900 to very low 3000.

3.1" to the lands is what I've found, in reading on a Sherman thread, here.
so shermans website show a 2.372 bto. i have all items (brass and eol 156 on order and shoe arrive in the next few days) but i dont know the coal yet until items arrive then i can load to there spec. will be mailing a dumby round to carbon six to make sure all fits. again carbon six recommend to post a blog to see if we need to add some freebore is all i am trying to do here

I put a load on the Sherman load data page with a 153.5 LRHT at 3.097"
Don't recall exactly how much jump, that was my previous barrel but the same reamer.
Medium actions accommodate the Max cartridges nicely. Never tried it but I'm sure people use Long Actions with success.
so dereck recommended the 6.5 max due to having a long action. im hoping it all plugs together and functions.

Recent Posts