6.5 PRC what muzzle brake? Home install?

bluedog69

Ok so my 11 yr old bought a 6.5 PRC. It has a factory threaded barrel on the end of it.(Savage desert tactical)

1) Main question is I assume that you can order a brake and screw it on.( I assume that both the barrel and the brake would have been
dialed in on the bore so that the shoulder would be square to the bore)

2) I assume that the side port brakes are more effective. I figure if we are spending any money to tame it might as well tame it as much as possible.
If a timed brake spins on to far can you shim it? If it needs a little more taken off is it easy to chuck it up and dial it to the bore of the brake and
shave a few thou off?

Is a 5 port brake too much? 4 good enough? I have only shot one braked rifle and it was a Savage high country with a factory 2 port(I think). Amazed me
how well it tamed a 7 mag down.

Don't want to spend a fortune....don't want to waste money on "didn't help much".

I have an Area 419 Hellfire on my 6.5 PRC. The rifle basically has a small jump, no real noticeable recoil. It's easy to hold on target during a shot to see hits. Its not the prettiest but it was very easy to install. I've had in on the rifle for over 4 years and its stayed tight.

Area419 fan here too. Hellfire brake. Very easy to mount. Very effective.
Most recent purchase was their newer, Match, model. It's on my 300 Win. Recoil and muzzle rise are totally tamed.

@vancewalker007 kind of describes it well. The rifle kind of "jumps" or I'd even call it a "shutter." End result is my rifle stays on target.

Ok so my 11 yr old bought a 6.5 PRC. It has a factory threaded barrel on the end of it.(Savage desert tactical)

1) Main question is I assume that you can order a brake and screw it on.( I assume that both the barrel and the brake would have been
dialed in on the bore so that the shoulder would be square to the bore)

2) I assume that the side port brakes are more effective. I figure if we are spending any money to tame it might as well tame it as much as possible.
If a timed brake spins on to far can you shim it? If it needs a little more taken off is it easy to chuck it up and dial it to the bore of the brake and
shave a few thou off?

Is a 5 port brake too much? 4 good enough? I have only shot one braked rifle and it was a Savage high country with a factory 2 port(I think). Amazed me
how well it tamed a 7 mag down.

Don't want to spend a fortune....don't want to waste money on "didn't help much".
What diameter is the end of the barrel?
It would make it easier to suggest a self-timed brake that doesn't look like a turd on the end.

What diameter is the end of the barrel?
It would make it easier to suggest a self-timed brake that doesn't look like a turd on the end.
It would be nice if they would make that info easy to find online.

All I can find is 5/8 x 24 thread. Some list it as a heavy contour others a medium.
Ill have to check it tonight with calipers.

It would be nice if they would make that info easy to find online.

All I can find is 5/8 x 24 thread. Some list it as a heavy contour others a medium.
Ill have to check it tonight with calipers.
5/8 x 24 is all ya need to know for thread pitch, still have to measure for muzzle diameter......

Area419 fan here too. Hellfire brake. Very easy to mount. Very effective.
Most recent purchase was their newer, Match, model. It's on my 300 Win. Recoil and muzzle rise are totally tamed.

@vancewalker007 kind of describes it well. The rifle kind of "jumps" or I'd even call it a "shutter." End result is my rifle stays on target.

I have looked a little at their stuff.

Never was sure if the Match was less recoil....same recoil.... more recoil.....or if the match just kept muzzle down more???(compared to the regular Hellfire)

I have looked a little at their stuff.

Never was sure if the Match was less recoil....same recoil.... more recoil.....or if the match just kept muzzle down more???(compared to the regular Hellfire)
I think the muzzle down was a main priority for their new design. That's why I went ahead and purchased it. No side-by-side comparison (regular vs match) but seems to do as advertised.

With a 6.5 PRC, the recoil difference is probably negligible with three vs four ports.