6.5 Grendel Reloaders????

CaptnC

I'm not going to do ton of shooting with my Grende build. But I would like to find a decent shooting load for it.

My build is going to used for deer and hogs <175 yards. Grand kids mostly...the wife or I on a hog hunt.

Shooting a 18" barrel, bullets will be <125gr...

What powder is the best for this caliber?

I hope to load something that will shoot at least 1 MOA at 100yds.

Mostly need advice on powder, but would take some actual load data as well...bullets, powder charge and COL type info.

Best powders will be Varget or CFE-223.

As for load data, you won't find really much load data for Varget and CFE-223, but the Hornady 9th Edition manual has some.

6.5 Grendel - 120-123 grain bullets

Varget: Start - 25.2 / Max - 28.9
CFE-223: Start - 26.2 / Max - 31.2

Bullets, I shoot Nosler 123 Custom Comps & Berger 130 AR Hybrids, but I hear good things about the Hornady 123 ELD-M bullets, as well.

SAAMI overall length is 2.26"... But I have found with C-Products 6.5 Grendel mags, I can load mine to 2.275". You should also always do a check with your OAL gauge to find our your barrel's max distance to the lands with each bullet you plan on shooting. Even though this is a semi-auto and you will be limited by magazine length, this is good information to know, so you are positive what your jump is, so you can measure and repeat it later with other bullets you plan on trying.

Last edited:
Thank you sir!

Reading on the Grendel site AR Comp, CFE223 and IMR8208 seem to be very popular powders. CFE223 has a slight lead on there site.

I would like to narrow the search down on powders, the one most have good success with....like I said, this will most likely only be used for hunting so I hope to not need a lot of powder the feed it.

I use mostly IMR8208 for target and Leverlution for 125gr Partitions in a hunting load. I tried CFE, but had better luck with 8208, so I didnt try harder. I've been wanting to pick up some AR Comp to try as well. No data on hand right now to share, but with 8208, all of mine have shot best on the higher/hotter end. Also, I would check your COL to your barrel and make sure you are not jambing lands before trying hotter loads..... if its the barrel from your other thread, I don't think you will have a problem but better safe than sorry.

Yes it is the same barrel. I know it's not a anywhere close to being a match grade barrel, but I feel it will shoot better with a few more rounds down the pipe....plus some hand loads. I've been reading the Grendel site and groups like mine are not uncommon even with better grades of barrels.

It' looking like the IMR8208 is very high on the recommendation list. Then AR Comp looks to be running a close second. I see AR Comp everywhere near me, so I'm thinking to go that route.

I'm thing my max bullet weight will be 123gr stuff with the 120's be preferred for a hunting bullet.

If I want to hit something far, far away I will grab one of my real 6.5's...lol

Get you some 120 Sierra Pro Hunter bullets and IMR 8208, CCI 450 or BR-4 primers and work up to a max load of 28.5 grs with a COAL between 2.250 and 2.260 test to see which shoots best for your rifle. I have two different make barrels and this load shoots the best in both. I have not killed a deer yet with the Grendel because I just got into them this February but I have killed quite a few with the 120 Sierra Pro Hunter in a 6.5x55 Swede at pretty long range where the bullet has slowed down to Grendel speeds and it does a wonderful job. IMR 8208 seems to not have pressure spikes with change in weather temps like CFE223 does or for the matter any ball powder. I am using Hornady cases.
There is load data on the web for free. Sierra bullets has it, and Speer bullets, Nosler bullets, Barnes bullets. Also on the Grendel forum you can order their loading books which will give you the Grendel story as well as a bunch of load data. When you decide on the specific bullet you want to use I can probably give you a list of data for it from what I have put together.

Last edited:
Yeah Ck...catching the lands on an AR platform is a lot trickery than a bolt gun.

Thanks for all the info...really looks like 8208 is the "go to" powder...

Especially with the Grendel...... I just checked both of my new Barrels this week, and COL for 120gr Amax was 2.15" 123gr Amax was 2.25" It shoots Factory ok at about 1 inch, but most bullets other than the 123 Amax are seated so deep you would not be able to crimp. I thought I had avoided the whole Chamber Drama but I guess not!

I forgot about LeverEvolution... I've got a pound of that here on the bench. I'll have to give it a try, as well.

Yes when you get up as heavy as 130 gr bullets Leverevolution is a great powder. It shoots 130 HPBT Sierra Game Kings fairly good with best velocity of any powder for me. But the 6.5 Grendel really does it's thing with 100 to 123 gr bullets and IMR 8208 has really worked for me. I have discovered that even within the same company's barrels throat length varies greatly so you really need to know what measurement COAL your barrel really has. I use the split neck case method and close and open the bolt by hand with it off the lower. I do this process three times with each bullet so I get the right measurement. Also some barrels just do not like certain bullets. I have a BCA and a Oden Works barrel and neither one shoots well with Hornady 123 SST either in factory loaded or hand loads. I wish Sierra would toughen up their 120 tipped Match King a little and make a great accurate game bullet with high BC for the Grendel.

My best shooting accuracy wise in my 6.5 Grendel was using Benchmark powder and a Hornady 123 ELD-M bullet.

The 6.5 ELD-M bullet is apparently the only ELD-M bullet that actually contains the same interlock ring as the ELD-X bullet (I actually cut a couple apart to confirm).

These bullets are getting a good rep for being hog and deer capable from the Grendel.

Hey Butter,

Benchmark is mentioned in Noslers load data...but at a very slow velocity.

What kind of speed are you getting?

What charge range?

Nice to know that about the ELD-M...hope to put one on a bone this weekend!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.