6.5 creedmore?

Any good bad or other?

Good.
The 6.5 Grendel Allows shooting relatively high BC bullets at moderate velocities from an AR-15 length magazine.
The reason to chose the 6.5 Grendel is that it gives longer range and lower wind deflection than most of the other AR-15 choices. The high BC bullets give good energy retention downrange. cartrdiges like the 6.8 SPC and 50 Beowulf give much more energy at short range.

Bad.
Being a proprietary cartridge, ammo availability and price suffers. It handloads ok if you realize that the cartridge's pressure limitation in an AR-15 platform it the locking lugs on the bolt and barrel extension. Cartridges like the 6.8 SPC and 50 Beowulf give more energy from an AR-15 at short range.

What else shoots 6.5 mm low drag bullets in an AR platform?
The 6.5 Creedmoor gives another 400 yards of range with even lower wind deflection. It shoots well from AR-10s and clones It's a 2.8" cartridge while the 6.5 Grendel is a 2.25" cartridge.

What are other choices in an AR-15? The 243 WSSM and 25 WSSM (both from Olympic Arms) have significantly higher energy but their longer case doesn't allow shooting quite as high of BC bullets. If you want best accuracy to or over 1000 yards go with the 6.5 Creedmoor.

There is no "best" rifle or cartridge. The application determines which are more or less suitable. Only you can decide what you need or want.
An expensive solution is to own them all.

An expensive solution is to own them all. Thanks I may have to do that ! HAHAHAHAHA I have a DPMS In a 223 now and am looking for something a little bigger. I also have a 25-06 in a 700 rem too. Again thanks for the info!!!

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor in a bolt rifle and love it. If you like the LR-6.5 from DPMS, is a very capable round. On a side note, I have a 6.5 Grendel in an AR platform.

With the Creedmoor I'm getting 2880 fps with 130gr Bergers.
With Grendel, 2480 fps with 123 Hornady, A-max or SST. 18"

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor in a bolt rifle and love it. If you like the LR-6.5 from DPMS, is a very capable round. On a side note, I have a 6.5 Grendel in an AR platform.

With the Creedmoor I'm getting 2880 fps with 130gr Bergers.
With Grendel, 2480 fps with 123 Hornady, A-max or SST. 18"

Since energy is proportional to mass time velocity squared your Creedmoor has 1.425 times the energy at the muzzle. Since the 130 Berger had a higher BC than the 123 Hornady that ratio becomes larger as the downrange distance increases. More important, with both the higher velocity and higher BC the 6.5 Creedmoor has significanlty less drop and wind deflection at all distances.

Down sides of the 6.5 Creedmoor? Higher ammo cost and for the same barrel lenth and contour ad 6.5 CM will weigh about a pound more. Also the 6.5 CM gives more recoil. Threre's not much price difference between a DPMS LR-65CM and an AA Overwatch 6.5 Grendel.

Of course you could say all of the above comparing a 7mm STW Rem 700 to a DPMS LR-65CM.

Just to be clear, in an AR platform. The 6.5 Grendel is in an AR-15, the 6.5 Creedmoor in in the LR-308/AR-10 platform.

Make sure the larger frame is not to heavy/ too big for what you want to do with it.

In a bolt rifle, the Grendel can be built in a micro action, but it will be some level of custom. A CZ527 in a 7.62x39 with barrel change for example. It really was designed around the AR-15.

The Creedmoor is a std short action. Several makers are producing it. Savage, Ruger, Cooper and Browning(intermittently).

The two rounds don't compare that well except for the 6.5 cal. The Grendel is, arguably, the most you can get from an AR-15 platform. That will create a fight, but you get the drift. The Creedmoor is just more round, but needs a bigger rifle. I have both, but the Grendel is an AR, my Creedmoor is a bolt rifle. I don't want to choose between the two.

Good point Skyfish.

Although I'm not sure there is a huge weight difference between the large frame AR receiver sets (AR-10/LR-308) and a standard AR-15 receiver. Granted the barrel nut and a few other parts have to be up-sized to accommodate a 6.5 CM or .308 frame AR. But I'd be curious to see an apples to apples comparison all components being equal how much weight is added to go to a large frame receiver.

John

Have 22 game animals under mine using the 143ELDX. I Wish I had bought it sooner. I've shot mine out to 1115 yards on rocks. Other than it weighing 16-17 lbs I have no other complaints.

I have one I built it shoots very well at 1000yds. I would suggest the JP Enterprizes high pressure bolt I don't have one and pierce primers if I get to close to book max with my handloads. I may very well pick up one of those bolts in the near future.

I built one years ago, mainly from JP parts. It shot very well, but I sold it. I would like to have another one. I will purchase a PSA upper and lower. I may not get the accuracy that I did with the custom, but I will be in it for 1200 less. The last time I looked, a 20" upper was 499 and a lower was 179. $650 for a Creedmoor Ar-10 will be hard to beat, even it it is only a 1.5 shooter.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.