6.5 creedmoor vs 7mm-08 for 500 and under??

Elkwonder

I am looking to pick up another Kimber Montana that will be my main do it all antelope to mule deer with the occasional elk and maybe even sheep if I ever win the lottery. I want something to pick up where my 25-05 leaves off. My question is....will the 7mm-08 really do anything that the 6.5 creedmoor won't? I will have a dedicated rifle for elk and bears. I am leaning towards the 6.5 creedmoor because recoil in the light Kimber Montana can be stout. Also I already have a Ruger precision in that caliber as well as all the reloading supplies.
So is there any reason to go with the 7mm-08 over the creedmoor?
BTW.......I will rarely shoot over 500-600 yards as that is about my max.
Thanks

The new Montana in a 6.5 CM with the threaded barrel looks like a sweet light weight rifle ,and if your comparing the 6.5 with a 140 GR ,and 708 with a 140 the 6.5 is the better choice in my opinion. But the good thing with the 708 is the choice of the heavier bullets for close range hunting if it were me ,and I had to pick I would take the CM for what you are describing, and like you said you all ready have reloading supplies.

I am primarily looking at the two calibers I mentioned. Those are the only two calibers that come standard and Im not looking to have any smith work done. I have a 280AI new in the box, but Im thinking the recoil is going to suck pretty bad, and I don't want to add a muzzle break. Might just stick with the 280AI, but I know the recoil on the 6.5 creedmoor would feel way better to my shoulder....lol

Yeah...thats my thoughts as well Ramrod...
Just kinda wondering what the real world difference is between the recoil of the 6.5 creed moor and the 280AI....

If I were picking between the two...6.5 CM/7 mm/08... I'd pick the .284 bore especially if it's a hunting rifle. Heavier bullets, constant supply of brass, reasonable recoil, easy to load for, etc. Not if your puncking paper/steel I'd take the 6.5 CM...interesting choice !

I'd go with the 6.5 given your comments. You've got everything you need, experience with the cartridge, you're going light and concerned about recoil, and have other rifles for other circumstances.

Nothing wrong with a 7-08.

According to the Kimber web site the Montana rifle in 6.5 Creemore has a 1-12" twist and the 7-08 has a 1-9" twist. If you are going with the Kimber and you want to shoot to 500y then the choice is clear. You have to go with the 7-08.

Steve

7mm-08 - Pros -
- Heavier bullets available
- more ft/lbs to the ranges you're talking about
- reasonable recoil
- easily available ammo over the counter
- probably a bit better elk medicine by a degree at range over the 6.5

Cons
- more recoil in the same weight rifle than the 6.5 though nothing to really worry about
- though it will reach 1000 yards, I'd take the 6.5 over it for the 'fun' factor of reaching out there

6.5 CM Pro's
- ballistically superior bullets available
- will take an elk out to the ranges given provided you do your part and place them in the right spot.
- fun to punch paper/bang steel out past the ranges you've mentioned
- light recoil
- seems to be an inherently accurate round with either factory or reloads

Cons
- not every shop will carry a selection of store-bought ammo
- though accurate, energy levels out at the end of your range is lighter than the 7mm

Those are just my opinions. If I was going to be able to hunt through an entire Colorado or Idaho elk/mule deer season with antelope tossed in, I'd go with the 7mm/08. If elk isn't a prime target, just something you might happen upon while hunting other critters OR if banging steel or punching paper is also in the mix, I'd probably go for the 6.5creed.

Just my .02c

According to the Kimber web site the Montana rifle in 6.5 Creemore has a 1-12" twist and the 7-08 has a 1-9" twist. If you are going with the Kimber and you want to shoot to 500y then the choice is clear. You have to go with the 7-08.
Steve

That's so far out in left field it's crazy. I would verify with Kimber customer service. They can't be that stupid, can they? :rolleyes:

I thought I posted earlier, but evidently it did not go through. I contacted a friend of mine at Kimber and they have an error on their web site. The Kimber 6.5 Creedmore is a 1-8" twist. So therefore I would choose the Creedmore.

Steve

I thought I posted earlier, but evidently it did not go through. I contacted a friend of mine at Kimber and they have an error on their web site. The Kimber 6.5 Creedmore is a 1-8" twist. So therefore I would choose the Creedmore.

Steve

+1 on this .

Both are great cartridges and would work for you.

I love the Creed though.....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.