6.5 Creedmoor Large primer VS Small Primer

motrapper

Did not even know it was offered in small primer.
Is there any reason to try it??
I like slow powders like RL 16, 17, 26 and IMR 4350 any good, bad or ugly staying with Large??

Thank You

In my experience with the 6.5 CM Lapua brass, which also has a smaller flash hole, slow powers like RL26 don't work too well. Tends to have high SDs and only so so accuracy, even with magnum rifle small primers. Things work better for me with H4350, CCI450 mag small primers with the Lapua brass.
If you want to run RL26. I would stick to standard primer brass that has more internal volume, like plain ole Hornady.

My experiences have been the same as Barrelnuts' when going for maximum velocity using slower powders. The Hornady brass has greater case capacity then the Lapua. For competition loads in the factory level velocity range, I prefer the small primer Lapua for accuracy, low SD, and "particularly" case life(+12x). I rarely, if ever anneal Lapua brass.
My PRS load with Lapua Brass. 15 shots dialing in my AMG.at 200 yards. Side Note; I'm amazed with this factory RPR barrel on my back-up, PRS rifle. At 1300 rounds it looks awful when bore scoped, but BTO is unchanged and it's accuracy remains excellent.
8A6562B5-0E6E-48DA-8875-22AE1673936F.jpeg

As far as velocities are concerned, the increased brass in the head area might allow you to load to higher pressure, but I would not recommend that. If you do it, it is entirely your own responsibility.

I agree with Greyfox's conclusion that brass life is better because of the heavier wall supporting the primer.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.