5R vs. 4 groves ??

Rogue

Need to re-barrel my 30.06. Wanting a Kreiger. They offer 5R and 4 grove rifling. I am shooting 168's at 2950 in a 1-10 twist.

Is 5R better? If so, how much better at 600 yds?

Shooting a factory Rem barrel now.

THX!!!

I posted that same question to Rich Sherman last night. He had talked to a Kreiger rep about same thing and they said, basically no difference. We both have 5r and 4 groove and see no difference in cleaning, velocity or barrel life. A good barrel is a good barrel.

Thinking about a rebarrel for a .30-06 in the future also. Debating twist and length. Will likely shoot all-copper bullets. What length barre are you using to get 2950. I'm seeing only about 2675 with Barnes 168TTSX from a short factory barrel (21 inch) and am at max pressure (Lapua brass, Rem 9.5 primers, IMR4064). Will likely also switch powders to reduce temp sensitivity.

I'd go 5r. I'm running a stock Sako with 168 Barnes ttsxs at 2960 with Ramshot hunter with a federal 210 match. Try that combo.

Thinking about a rebarrel for a .30-06 in the future also. Debating twist and length. Will likely shoot all-copper bullets. What length barre are you using to get 2950. I'm seeing only about 2675 with Barnes 168TTSX from a short factory barrel (21 inch) and am at max pressure (Lapua brass, Rem 9.5 primers, IMR4064). Will likely also switch powders to reduce temp sensitivity.

Thinking 26" with a 1-10 twist. The pencil thin factory barrel, with a 1-11 twist and 21" long, shoots 150gr Federal soft points at 2970 with a 5 shot group at 3/8" @ 100 yds. The serria MK 168 open the group to 1.5" @ 100 yds.

I have a 24 inch barrel in a sporter contour. Also the Ramshot line of powders is good in regards to temp stability. Especially considering it's a ball powder.

I have owned and shot both. With a quality custom barrel like the the Kreiger IMO, you will be hard pressed to see a difference in accuracy or ease of cleaning. I find myself generally ordering Kreiger 4 grooves simply based on the excellent results I've had with them, and Kriegers long experience in producing these exceptional barrels for the Bench Resters. If I were buying a factory Remington 700, it would only be in their 5R barrel. Not so much because of the fundamental difference in rifling design, but because IMO, there IS a difference in the in the production quality, performance, ease of cleaning, and visual appearance of the rifling when bore scoped initially, and, after 2000+ shots are put down the tube.

I have owned and shot both. With a quality custom barrel like the the Kreiger IMO, you will be hard pressed to see a difference in accuracy or ease of cleaning. I find myself generally ordering Kreiger 4 grooves simply based on the excellent results I've had with them, and Kriegers long experience in producing these exceptional barrels for the Bench Resters.

It is always nice to hear it from someone who has real world experience on both. I fully understand what you mean about ordering simply because of your excellent results. I feel the same way with my Lilja 3-groove barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.