.58cal Round Ball?

Gregory Duerr

Im looking at having a Custom Hawken built in the .58cal A Rice Barrel 1" across the flats 1x66 36" Barrel.
I have killed 14 Mule Deer with either the .54 or the .50 all with Round Balls have never felt at a disadvantage using a Round Ball. Will be using it for Deer as well as Elk.
Anyone have experience hunting with a Round ball in a .58cal??

Get a hold of Mike Yancey with Pine Hollow Longbows. He can tell you everything about them and he builds them too. Tell him Rick Richard, pronounced "reeshard" said to call him.

My avatar shows the first elk I shot with my 58 cal long stock Hawken flinter. Range was short about 30 yards. Elk dropped at the shot. Was 7 below so never looked for the ball.

58 cal. certainly has an advantage on Elk size game. I had a Hawken flint lock in a 58 cal. and it wasn't bad on recoil with round balls until I got up to 90grs. 2f anything over that gave me a crack in the gibbs, hahaha. Hope yours works good for ya.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts