500 S&W Magnum - 8 3/8" Barrel
Load data
350gr Blue Coated lead bullet .501
11.7 TiteGroup Hogden powder
Starline Brass
Large Rifle Primers
Lyman Match Carbide dies

25yd indoor range.

Pretty pleased. One flyer, otherwise one .50cal hole.

Attachments

• IMG_3144.JPG
    IMG_3144.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 86
They are a pretty impressive machine, thats some good shooting.

From my first time lighting one off it always impressed me what they were capable of. Always wondered if the big hole or the heavy weight just made them super consistent.

They are a pretty impressive machine, thats some good shooting.

From my first time lighting one off it always impressed me what they were capable of. Always wondered if the big hole or the heavy weight just made them super consistent.
Maybe both and It also has good sights. I do like the big bores.

Loading some more this morning.

The good news about the 500 SW is once you have a relatively small supply of components for reloading, you are good to go for a life time. There are a few people that will shoot large volumes, but they are rare. After I shoot 10 rounds, I usually don't want to shoot any more. It is a novelty gun IMO. It is always fun to watch reactions at the range where most people are shooting 9mm. When the 500 SW touches off a shot, there is no mistaking it for the commonly used handguns.

Great shooting! I load 350 grain bullets with Lil Gun and LPM primers.

I have a 500 S in a 4". It does quite well. I use Large Rifle Primer in the loads also. People that have used them sometime hit their head with the Pistol. Some getting hurt petty bad. It's a two handed operation to fire or should be. The 44 mag is like child gun to the 500 S & W.

I am running low on the LPM primers. Did you change the load when shooting LR primers?
View attachment 590713
I did that from the start using LRP in my 500 Smith 4". Attached is my reloading info. I wouldn't go straight to those powder loads, but work your way up. This was done in 2013. I don't think you will get that velocity out of your 2", My velocity are in the same range as 8" barrels per the chronograph used at that time. I have every gone back to recheck those velocity. Plus I don't really shot it that much either.
Hope that helps!

Attachments

• 500 Smith reloading info.pdf
    145.6 KB · Views: 43
I have yet to purchase a 500 mag, as much as I want one. I have an S&W 44 mag, an S&W 41 mag, and an S&W in 45 colt. I strictly shoot lead bullets I cast using molds that Elmer Keith helped design. I like the big bores but shy away from jacketed bullets, preferring hard-cast lead, linotype is my favorite. I would love to try a 500 but I haven't seen anyone at my range using one. One of the RSO's told me they had a young fellow come in with one and a box of factory loads. He shot 4 of the 6 then unloaded it and left. Still, hats off to the fellow who went through 110 500's in a prior thread. Well done,

I have yet to purchase a 500 mag, as much as I want one. I have an S&W 44 mag, an S&W 41 mag, and an S&W in 45 colt. I strictly shoot lead bullets I cast using molds that Elmer Keith helped design. I like the big bores but shy away from jacketed bullets, preferring hard-cast lead, linotype is my favorite. I would love to try a 500 but I haven't seen anyone at my range using one. One of the RSO's told me they had a young fellow come in with one and a box of factory loads. He shot 4 of the 6 then unloaded it and left. Still, hats off to the fellow who went through 110 500's in a prior thread. Well done,
You'll have watch your velocity for leading your barrel.

You'll have watch your velocity for leading your barrel.
Hopefully no leading? Polymer coating base liquid coating.

"We at The Blue Bullets make cost effective bullets for anyone who wants to reload and enjoy the Shooting Sports. Our bullets are specially designed for competitive shooters who need an accurate bullet with no barrel leading, no smoke, and at a price comparable to a non-coated lead bullet."

Here is the bullets I am using. About 22cents each.

Last edited:

Recent Posts