• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

.500 Jeffery African Safari Rifle! Elephant Headache Medicine!!

Ok everyone, if anyone is seriously interested in this gun, throw me an offer... I will give it 2 more days and then onto gunbroker it goes...

Thank you everyone for all the interest and admiration in this beautiful rifle!

I have shot 2 458 Lotts in bolt action Brunos that felt recoil was not much more than my CZ 375 HH. I shot both while checking zero on my rifles after in camp. Both rifles were my PH,s. Worst felt recoil bolt rifle I have ever shot was a Weatherby 30-78 that I was working loads up for a hunting buddy. As far as doubles go 500 NE booted me pretty good, however there is a bit of a learning curve in shooting the big doubles in my opinion. Once I learned to roll my thumb slightly to the right, [ right handed shooter ] the recoil didn't drive my thumb knuckle into my nose, also allowing my whole body to rock back with the recoil seemed to help. Having said that I shot a 600 NE, AND NOTHING HELPED !!! There was a round in each barrel and I declined to fire the second barrel. I never want to shoot a 600 NE again.

A few of my biggies. L to r. 416 rigby, 460 weatherby, 470 NE, 505 gibbs, 577 trex, 700 ahr. Can all be loaded to be manageable. My 470 i dont mess with because of regulated barrels. Big boys are fun! Just got my 550 mag from mike scherz but havent fired yet.

Attachments

• 20210111_154721.jpg
    20210111_154721.jpg
    895.3 KB · Views: 58
A few of my biggies. L to r. 416 rigby, 460 weatherby, 470 NE, 505 gibbs, 577 trex, 700 ahr. Can all be loaded to be manageable. My 470 i dont mess with because of regulated barrels. Big boys are fun! Just got my 550 mag from mike scherz but havent fired yet.
What is that 700 like to shoot? I assume the AHR?

Depends on how hot you load it and weight of rifle. My rifle is a carryable 13.5 lbs, most are 20 +. Keeping load at 2000 fps with 1300 gr projectile very stout but manageable. Can load to 2400, i suspect pretty unpleasant.
I may have to have one of those, super cool. Have you shot anything with it? I gotta think it would be one of the few cartridges that would flatten a cape buffalo.