458 Socom

idcwby

This cartridge has got my interest in building a dedicated subsonic AR. Has anyone played with the cartridge and the heavy bullets? How was terminal performance on game?

I've only used mid-weight bullets (300gr or so) in my 458SOCOM but have found it to be accurate and deadly on hogs using a 300gr TTSX bullets.

I have a "like new" RRA 458 SOCOM complete upper for sale if you're interested.

I've only used mid-weight bullets (300gr or so) in my 458SOCOM but have found it to be accurate and deadly on hogs using a 300gr TTSX bullets.

I have a "like new" RRA 458 SOCOM complete upper for sale if you're interested.

That's a nice upper. Unfortunately I'm not sure what length of barrel I would want yet and it won't work with my lefty Rock River, so I'll probably have to look at a whole new rifle.

I built one last year for a dedicated sub hunter. Used a tromix upper. 16.25". For subs I went with outlaw bullets 530 grain fracturing. It's like throwing a lead softball down range. Only one kill with it, coyote last year at around 50 yds or so. Bullet entered right behind the shoulder and exited just behind the far elbow. She went 10-15 ft before expiring.
Honestly haven't used it since then. This was my first AR and just not a fan of the platform. I prefer bolt guns. I will use in the future though, once I get more time to night hunt hogs. For now if I want to shoot suppressed I grab a bolt 300 BLK. So much quieter.

Ryan

I built one last year for a dedicated sub hunter. Used a tromix upper. 16.25". For subs I went with outlaw bullets 530 grain fracturing. It's like throwing a lead softball down range. Only one kill with it, coyote last year at around 50 yds or so. Bullet entered right behind the shoulder and exited just behind the far elbow. She went 10-15 ft before expiring.
Honestly haven't used it since then. This was my first AR and just not a fan of the platform. I prefer bolt guns. I will use in the future though, once I get more time to night hunt hogs. For now if I want to shoot suppressed I grab a bolt 300 BLK. So much quieter.

Ryan
How do you like the fracturing bullets? I was wondering if they would be better than the solid lead FP/RN.

Not sure they're any better, but they sure do cost a pretty penny so I tell myself they are.lol. I would have examined the inside of the yote but got her done in a full body mount so didn't want to screw up the hide. Exit would was about a 1.5" hole.
I do like the SOCOM for heavy subs, tried shooting the 250 hammer out of it and just couldn't get the speed required to use them. I also have a couple boxes of the 325 FTX that I haven't tried yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0370.jpeg
    IMG_0370.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0371.jpeg
    IMG_0371.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1706.jpeg
    IMG_1706.jpeg
    666 KB · Views: 22
A 1-14 twist is probably correct for everything? Wasn't sure if it need to be faster. How long is that bullet?

Yeah 1-14 twist seems to work fine. Only shot them out to 100 yds, but not keyholeing so figure they're stabile enough. Length is around 1.422". I'm using 22 grn IMR 4198 and it's right at 1000fps when shot through my hybrid 46M.

Yeah 1-14 twist seems to work fine. Only shot them out to 100 yds, but not keyholeing so figure they're stabile enough. Length is around 1.422". I'm using 22 grn IMR 4198 and it's right at 1000fps when shot through my hybrid 46M.
How long of bullet do you think you could shoot? Would hate to have not enough twist when getting 550gr and above bullets. I've tried to run some twist calcutors, but it's hard to find the length of the solid lead bullets.

Yeah that was pretty impressive. Those Lehigh require a 1-10 twist. If you're wanting to shoot something like that I'd get a 1-10, don't think it'd harm any lighter bullets. No way you're going to spin one apart my rpms at SOCOM speed.