416 rigby bolt face

ARlife4me

using brass with this bolt face compatibility what action manufacturer would you suggest and why? try not to bash other actions please! i have a savage 110 factory rifle in 338lm and several state it's not a good action for that cartridge (i haven't had any issues so far). this will be a repeater and will be using a dbm. maybe an action that accepts longer than 3.850" cip mags would be a nice alternative. this is just a fun gun build and not specific for comps or hunting. barrels and stocks (well stocks for longer than cip mags would be helpful) are of little concern. i've looked at stiller 338, zermatt and 2 or 3 others (don't recall brands, cause their not saved on this pc). does the bolt need to larger than .725" or is it sufficient?

i'm not sure why this is in "reloading" as it should be in "rifles, bullets, barrels & ballistics". staff please move to correct catagory, thanks!

There is a nice Defiance in the classifieds I have been eyeing. You should hurry up and buy it so the temptation is removed ;)

I too have a Savage 338 LM and it shoots just fine. Clunky as all get out though.

There is a nice Defiance in the classifieds I have been eyeing. You should hurry up and buy it so the temptation is removed ;)

I too have a Savage 338 LM and it shoots just fine. Clunky as all get out though.
I was surprised by how little recoil it had. 110 stealth, it's the gray rifle in my avatar

Mine all have .700" or .750" bolts, but they are CRF actions that have beefier locking lug buttresses and extend forward for more beef.
These are also the rifle platforms I built my 416 Rigby improved line on.

Cheers.

Mine all have .700" or .750" bolts, but they are CRF actions that have beefier locking lug buttresses and extend forward for more beef.
These are also the rifle platforms I built my 416 Rigby improved line on.

Cheers.
Is the pre-64 Win 70 bolt too small to work with the Rigby / Lapua cartridges ?

Is the pre-64 Win 70 bolt too small to work with the Rigby / Lapua cartridges ?
Bolt diameter isn't the issue, the action needs 3.75"-3.85" for the cartridge (loaded) to eject. 3.6" action length needs the front receiver ring notched and the rear ring notched or lengthened, just as they did with the Mauser Magnum action to fit the 416 Rigby, it's doable, but will cost three times the price of the rifle.
My actions are the Magnum length of 3.85", have CZ 550 Safari Magnum actions and a Granite Mountain Arms action.

Cheers.

Bolt diameter isn't the issue, the action needs 3.75"-3.85" for the cartridge (loaded) to eject. 3.6" action length needs the front receiver ring notched and the rear ring notched or lengthened, just as they did with the Mauser Magnum action to fit the 416 Rigby, it's doable, but will cost three times the price of the rifle.
My actions are the Magnum length of 3.85", have CZ 550 Safari Magnum actions and a Granite Mountain Arms action.

Cheers.
Magnum, you have a Granite Arms ? Was that easier to get than R-26 ? Their website has not been encouraging.

Magnum, you have a Granite Arms ? Was that easier to get than R-26 ? Their website has not been encouraging.
Yes, bought it over 20 years ago now. Bought it in the white, no accessories to keep my costs down importing it.
It is a huge action and can handle cartridges above 4.1" length with 'accessories' which I never bought. Just the basic model with .750" bolt body.
Oh, I've never had RE 26…

Cheers.

I have several of the Granite Mountain actions I bought a while back. They wait patiently on the shelf for the right cartridges...;)

I have been using the Defiance actions for the Lapua bolt face. Since the new owner took over, I've moved on.

Now I use Pierce and Kelbly and a couple of Stiller's.

Impact Precision and Kauger also offer the Lapua bolt face in their actions. I have them but just haven't built on them yet.

Enjoy the search!

:)

Last edited:

Recent Posts