35 caliber bullet choice

Bmccart

Just bought a Remington 700 classic in 35 whelen that I'm going to be using to mainly hunt white tails in Missouri but will also bring it with me as a backup rifle on elk hunts. What would be my best bullet choice to tackle both? I will be reloading. Never shot any Swift a frames but from what I understand they're a bit too tough for a whitetail? Looking at the 225 Accubond, 220 speer hot cor or the 223gr hammer sledge hammer. I know the Accubond will get it done but are any of these a better option?

I built up a 35 whelen on a mauser 98 action some years ago. It always liked 250 gr Speer spitzer. Would shoot a moa with bullets .005" of lands. Only shot one deer with it but the 250 gr dropped it in it's tracks. I've got too many other rifles to use now so it doesn't get much use.

I have used the speer 220 on elk and a mule deer, worked fine. Speer says to use their 250gr. on elk, I have some but have not work up a load, but plan to before next hunting season. The 250's may be a little big for white tails but I don't think they would be to bad. The nosler 225gr. partion shoots very well in my rifles, have not ben able to harvest any game with them at this time.

I've hunted slot with the whelen. I've killed whitetails and elk (as well as ground squirrels, little light for them). I've used a small variety of makes and weights from 225-250 in hornady interlocks (both sprp and rn, love both) Speer 250 hotcors rem corlocks, and nosler partitions in 225. As an all around if you're shots could run to 400 yards I really like the 225 nos. Last elk I shot with that combo was 375 yes away, bullet entered behind the last rib on the left side, broke the right shoulder and excited. Drt. Very little meat damage. And that has been my experience, bang flop.

my whelen loves the speer 220 with rl15 under the hood... testing some 259's that edd gave me very soon. I have a charge run up set loaded right now. I'll have to load a group or three at the top charge to wring out the rifle after that

I've been reading about that Speer hot cor and most reviews seem good. Really looking into the hammer sledge hammers too. Bought a couple boxes of factory hornady Superformance 200 gr and it shoots them pretty well. Got some brass and dies just gotta get some bullets and load them up

My father is shooting 225 Sierra game kings I believe, out of his 35 WAI. Not a long range load by any means, that thing is a flying ash tray, but it has a load of whack. Using Varget, he is getting 2875 fps.

What length barrel? Mines a Remington 700 classic with a 22. I doubt I get mine anywhere close to 2800.

My father is shooting 225 Sierra game kings I believe, out of his 35 WAI. Not a long range load by any means, that thing is a flying ash tray, but it has a load of whack. Using Varget, he is getting 2875 fps.

I have had two Mod 700 Classics, had both reamed to the AI. I only killed game with 3 bullets; the 250X, the 200X and the 310 Woodleigh. I used the Speer 220fn for my fireforming loads but they were super accurate. IMO, the 200TTSX will give you the best "all around" load. It will definityly penetrate and yet not tear up a bunch of meat. the 310 was a wonderful bullet too, but I only killed 200# Eurasian that was close enough to brain-pan with my .38 +P, ha. Its a grand rifle/cartridge combo. Try a magnum primer with R15 and the 250 partition sometimes! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.