.300WM Bergara Barrel Life

SPDSpappy

I have a Bergara MgLite in .300WM and I'm wondering if anyone knows what the life expectancy is of this barrel. I'm about 1500 rounds in and the local reloading place said I should replace it around 1500 rounds. I had a great ES this weekend with one of my ladders on a new load, but it was still shooting like junk, so I thought maybe it's time to change it out, but I'm not sure what to really look for to know.

I did look through some of the old threads on here and I know some folks talked about looking at the lands, but I don't have a way to do this. Others said when you lose your accuracy and I'm thinking this might be where I'm at.

I really hate to change it out already as I'd be looking at a new Zermatt Orgin action and Proof Research CF barrel to use the tools I have available rather than sending the gun off to a gunsmith to put a new Begara barrel on it like I have now (if they're even available).

Barrel life is subjective, it happens slowly or fast depending on powder used, cooler burning powder extends barrel life. Carbon is a barrels worst enemy, it is abrasive. Copper fouling rarely damages a barrel, but solvents can…
Personally, I have had several 300WM barrels last well into 2,500 rounds, sub MoA at that point was unobtainable, but none were spraying bullets all over the place, when 2 MoA is all they could muster, they were replaced.
I had a CM barrel that was done in less than 200 rounds, lent it to a mate that put it away wet in a gun bag, 3 days later it looked like rusty reo bar.

Cheers.

Before you replace the barrel, send it back to Bergara. I had the same thing happen to my sons Bergara rifle. It came back about .78 moa. The main issue wS the action screws where under torqued (67#). He also had a scope that wouldn't hold zero. New scope now and it's back to <1MOA shooter. It only took about 2 weeks to repair. Good luck.

Thanks all! FWIW: I asked Bergara about barrel life and replacement and here's their response:
1800-2000 is the round count but there are so many factors that go into that number so its really a rough estimate. Unfortunately, at this time we only sell completed rifles so if it comes to a time that you need to get the barrel changed out then we have a couple places can send you too.

Thank you,

Ashton Himes
Customer Service Rep
BPI Outdoors

Magnum Rifle,. "Barrel Life",. LOL, LOL ,. My .270 Weatherby Magnum's, Group's,.. DOUBLED at,. 900- 950 Rounds !
And Bergara's Barrels, ARE made of, "Spanish Steel" NOT, American or, German Steel.
The Bad News,.. Son, your Barrel, IS,.. "Gone" at,. 1,500 Rounds !
@ Magnum Velocity, Barrels Last about, 850 to 1200 Rounds, USUALLY,. for, "Good Accuracy"

Last edited:
Time to stop wasting components and time, change the barrel. If by chance it isn't shot out yet that point isn't much further down the road, so just be done with it. When you get it rebarreled have it bedded and pillars installed. Then you have WAY less to worry about like action screw torque values etc, just tighten them and go.

I would give it a good cleaning.
Get as much copper and carbon out that you can. Something else to look at, the end of your barrel, get a Q-tip and lightly go around the inside of the barrel. If any fuzz shows up, that could be a problem.
Hope this helps. 👍

Recent Posts