300 WSM

bjlooper

Kevin Weaver shot my rifle 4/2/07, not bad for a 6lb 5oz sheep rifle I think the groups will tighten up as the barrel is broken in. Does any one have a pet load for me to try.
DR B
Rifle PICS

bjlooper, Are you going to use on sheep or other big game animals? Makes a difference on bullet recommendations. Nice looking rifle, just not sure on that stock color!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

bj-

Since your link noted that he had shot 168 gr SMK I will post my fave 300 wsm load.

165 gr SGK (sierra gameking)
59.4 gr Varget
Win Brass
F215M Primer
3.258 ogive

As with all loads this one is safe in my rifle but you should decrease this and work your way up. 59.7 is max in Sierra#5 reloading manual. Although from 58.5 to 59.4 groups were very tight. Goodluck and Good Hunting!

That's a nice looking rig. I've been interested in how the Weaver rifles shot, so keep us informed about the gun.

[ QUOTE ]
bjlooper, Are you going to use on sheep or other big game animals? Makes a difference on bullet recommendations. Nice looking rifle, just not sure on that stock color!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to use it on every thing Antelope up to Brown Bear that I have to walk more than a 1/4 mile, including African Planes Game. I also plan on using Barnes 165gr MRX for every thing.
What do you Long Range experts consider the Max effective range of the 165gr MRX @ 3200fps.

DR B

The MRX will function further than you are able to hold a group. Your rig is great, but the weight and scope will limit you to around 500-600 yds. Bullet will perform great at that range.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts