300 Win Mag Trim length

Roughwater

Hi

I have a Savage LRH 300 Win Mag that I'm reloading for. Problem is that the Recommended case Trim length is 2.620. I have new Norma brass that mostly ranges from 2.60 to 2.620 but most is around 2.610 or less. I also have once fired brass I bought that also is mostly short of the recommended length. I wouldn't be real concerned but the 300 Win Mag already has a short neck so I feel it best to trim as long as possible and the same length for all brass. Will trimming short possibly affect accuracy? Appreciate any recommendations?

Thanks.

2.620" is the SAAMI spec length, most would recommend trimming .010" shorter than that. I trim to 2.610" after the first firing and I do get a few that are short. I figure they'll stretch anyway and I can trim everything again after 4 firings. If you want a full cleanup on all brass go right ahead. Another 5 or 10 thousandths isn't going to make much difference.

Hi

I have a Savage LRH 300 Win Mag that I'm reloading for. Problem is that the Recommended case Trim length is 2.620. I have new Norma brass that mostly ranges from 2.60 to 2.620 but most is around 2.610 or less. I also have once fired brass I bought that also is mostly short of the recommended length. I wouldn't be real concerned but the 300 Win Mag already has a short neck so I feel it best to trim as long as possible and the same length for all brass. Will trimming short possibly affect accuracy? Appreciate any recommendations?

Thanks.
Do you read your loading manual?
All brass when new is 2.610", this is the trim to length, 2.620" is the MAX length for the case, or in other words, do not exceed length.
Trimming to the trim to length is not necessary after every sizing, but, if you are crimping, then a uniform length less than 2.620" is mandatory.
As to the short neck, this cartridges doesn't notice it's so called problem, benchrest type groups are common, not flukes.
Accuracy will not be affected by trimming short, but having different lengths or crooked mouths can, depending on how tight the tolerances are in your rifle, loose chambers rarely see a difference, but tight ones can.

lightbulb

Magnum Maniac,

Geeze, your totally right about the trim length. Yea, I do go by the manual and unfortunately looked at it wrong this time. After reading your response I re looked at the manual and sure enough it say's 2.610 as the trim length. As a matter of fact I don't like trimming to the Sami length as I know the brass expands inside the chamber when fired and not a good thing to have brass too long. In my older age I am prone to miss things and forget things and I did one or the other here. Also appreciate you dispelling the myth that the short neck on a 300 Win Mag is an accuracy issue as some on line would make one believe. I do know that some do use this caliber as a Bench rest gun so that should say it all. As to loose or tight tolerances I suspect the Savage is on the tighter side compared to some.

Again, appreciate it for setting me straight.

Hi

Thanks.

Hear is a link to the SAMME print/standard. Use the Top drawing.

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Rifle/300 Winchester Magnum.pdf

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

If your reloading manual says the trim length is 2.610", all they have done is pick a number halfway between the minimum and maximum. Per the link JE provided, the SAAMI spec is 2.600" minimum and 2.620" maximum.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts