300 win mag choice

Mike31

hey new here, sorry if this is not the right spot for this post..

Looking to buy a 300 win mag for target shooting and big game hunting. Not a very gun spec savvy person so I am going to buy versus build. What are recommendations? Looking for good MOA, legal to hunt with in Canada, $1500, would prefer a traditional looking hunting rifle.
Thanks!
Mike

Looking to buy a 300 win mag for target shooting and big game hunting. Not a very gun spec savvy person so I am going to buy versus build. What are recommendations? Looking for good MOA, legal to hunt with in Canada, $1500, would prefer a traditional looking hunting rifle.
Thanks!
Mike
Gen 2 Milspec Rem 700 if you can find one. Last I checked Bud's Gunshop still had a few.

You could buy a bergara and a decent scope for $1500. You could also buy Match grade factory ammo and shoot said bergara around 3/4" MOA. They also have wood stock options in there b14 series.

Thanks guys keep them coming! I was already kind of leaning toward the x bolt based on some research. Any ideas on scopes? Thinking the same budget, $1500

For hunting, simple...TC Compass..$224.00...it'll get you started and is more than capable of hitting any big game animal you can hit...you won't have much tied up in it to see if you like the sport, then you can save up for a fancy riflr...after all, no animal knows what fired the bullet that harvested them...

Any ideas on scopes? Thinking the same budget, $1500

My best advise on scope.......is take your time, do a lot of research, especially on finding the "Perfect" reticle for your needs. There are several great threads here on just the subject of reticles. My other piece of advise is don't make your decision based on the most popular brand recommendation. To me the scope is far more important then the rifle as far as getting the goal accomplished.

Just take your time, and enjoy the process of putting your project together.

For hunting, simple...TC Compass..$224.00...it'll get you started and is more than capable of hitting any big game animal you can hit...you won't have much tied up in it to see if you like the sport, then you can save up for a fancy riflr...after all, no animal knows what fired the bullet that harvested them...

They are very tempting every time I see them. They also come already threaded for muzzle device.

Thanks!
Mike

Not sure of the import restrictions/challenges for you in Canada but what is readily available for you and what have looked at thus far?

Not sure of the import restrictions/challenges for you in Canada but what is readily available for you and what have looked at thus far?
I'm actually in Michigan. I just have been bear hunting in Canada before and am definitely going to go back for other stuff.
I live near a cabelas and many gun shops and most all of the name brand stuff should be available.

I'm actually in Michigan. I just have been bear hunting in Canada before and am definitely going to go back for other stuff.
I live near a cabelas and many gun shops and most all of the name brand stuff should be available.

Excellent! What have considered so far? This would help narrow it down for your decision making process?

I'd think about weight of the rifle/scope combination, and what you're willing to carry, distance you might travel, or not? I don't mind toting around a heavy gun, but that's because I've gotten used to it over a lot of years. That and I prefer the weight to help reduce recoil, and shot placement on long range shots. That said, hunting in Michigan isn't quite like Western Mountain hunting, nor is bear Hunting over bait from a tree, but sitting in a stand weight shouldn't be an issue.

I'm in the same camp as previously brought up, the Remington Mil-Spec guns are real shooters out of the box with a trigger change IMO. I installed a Huber 2 stage in mine.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.